The Void is a nightmarish dimension said to exist outside space and time, where terrifying living weapons were wrought to win an ancient and long-since ended war. No-one truly understands how the Void came into existence, but tales of its terrible denizens have wormed their way into the dream consciousness of almost every culture's legends, creation myths, and dark folktales. Those few scattered grimoires and madmen that dare speak of the Void at all speak of it as an infinite realm of unfettered creation, tortured landscapes of crazed organic machinery, magical weapon-looms and mountainous flesh-forges. None have yet ventured into the Void and lived, for mortals would almost certainly be consumed and woven into the endless process of creation.
In places where the mystical barriers between Runeterra and the Void have been worn thin, the air feels charged, and fantastical occurrences are the norm. Rivers run with vibrant colors, flowers bloom with incredible perfumes, and living beings experience psychedelic visions and surges in magical power. For a time, such places are wondrous and brimming with miracles, but soon the landscape is twisted into new and deadly forms, and if the Void is able to consume enough biomass to survive, it can grow and evolve into something ferocious and terrifying.
A place between dimensions and between worlds. To some it is known as the Outside, to others it is the Unknown. To most, however, it is called the Void. It is a timeless place inhabited by various seemingly intelligent entities who, for reasons beyond human understanding, have the desire to gain entrance to and vitiate the worlds outside their realm. These creatures are called 'Voidborn'. According to Vel'Koz, the Void is a very dark place, both he and Cho'Gath said that the daylight in Runeterra is too strong for them.
The lost city called Icathia seems to be connected to the Void, as some Voidborn are known to have appeared in the place and some mortals are known to have gained the Void's power in it. Mortals who encounter the power of the Void generally have one of two reactions:
- Like , their minds may be overwhelmed and they may become willing servants to the dark apocalyptic destinies they see emanating from the Abyss. On Runeterra, these individuals are referred to as 'the Cult of the Void'.
- Like , they may be horrified and shocked into an unyielding desire to lay down their lives to forestall the doom they see. On Runeterra, these individuals are referred to as 'The Preservers'.
Some historical evidence show that, in times long past, there were massive magical projects throughout Runeterra oriented toward creating a bulwark against the Void. These projects and their history, however, remain apocryphal.
Currently,performs rituals with his followers to sacrifice humans to the Void. In one instance tried to stop him, however managed to trick into sending his daughter into the Void.
- It is implied that living beings that enter the void are corrupted and transformed into Voidborn creatures, as is the case with the Rift Herald being a mutated Rift Scuttler.
Voidborn are shown to vary greatly in intelligence and development:and are highly intelligent (In due time may aswell, but requires to assimilate other organic creatures.), while is rather primitive (This may due to fact that he is an infant) and is primeval and non-sapient, more akin to a wild animal. As such there are also different hierarchies, for example is the queen of her kind and feared by the other Voidborn. is likely in the higher hierarchy however, as he is allowed and able to execute other Voidborn should they become problematic for him.
All known Voidborn (sans) seem to have a hunger that they must satisfy:
- revels in fear and mayhem and depravity.
- craves biological perfection.
- simply wants food, albeit endlessly.
- hunts those who cross her domain relentlessly.
- seeks omniscience.
There currently exist two lesser Voidborn creatures who are summonable to the plane of Runeterra for a short time.
- , summoned by via .
- , summoned by any champion via a .
These lesser voidborn are both quadrupeds, with insectile legs that are similar in appearance. They are smaller in size in comparison to other voidborn, being around the size of a minion, implying that they may not be fully matured. It has been hinted that they are non-sapient, and possess no lead nor master; however, their demeanors can be (forcefully) lieged to those that summon them. These voidborn appear to be linked in some way to the champion who summoned them, being able to either increase their strength either directly from the summoners own strength () or defense ( ).
There are multiple species of voidborn with only two being known: the Xer'Sai and the Zz'Rot. The Xer'Sai run rampant across the Sai Desert, a vast wasteland in southern Shurima, with their queen Rek'Sai being the apex predator of the entire region. The Zz'Rot are diminutive quadrupeds with a volatile biology. They are also the only voidborn whose method of entry to Runeterra is known; their usage of portals. Presumably the remaining named voidborn: , , , and Baron Nashor are also members of individual species.
The flesh of a voidborn is not edible for humans and decays very fast after their death.
All Voidborn carry names said to be in Ancient Shuriman. A common naming convention amongst the voidborn is to have their unique name be combined with the last syllable of their species name, being separated by an apostrophe in the middle. (i.e.'s name, where "Rek" is her unique name, and "Sai" would be the last syllable of her species' name [Xer'Sai])
- Almost all the names given to the Voidborn are ancient Shuriman in origin.
- While they are not Voidborn, Fizz, Illaoi, and Nocturne have a Void-themed skin.
- The Baron Nashor is also a creature from Void.
- With the exception of Glorious Evolution, further enhancing their capabilities as evidenced by their Battlecast skins. and , it would seem that most of the Voidborns have (been forcibly) allied with and the
- The , , and are Void artifacts.
- It has been stated that there are possibly Void portals in Freljord which may mean that there are Void portals in other nations of Valoran, not just on Shurima.
- All Voidborn champions (except
) can deal true damage with their kits.
- deals flat true damage.
- deals true damage in an explosive radius after death.
- deals true damage upon 100 Fury.
- deals true damage after three stacks by his abilities.
- All Voidborn champions have an ability that affect their basic attacks in some way.
- adds bonus magic damage to all his basic attacks to all units in front of him while toggled on, increaing the range the bigger he is.
- adds bonus damage equal to a percentage of the targets maximum health and increased attack range for 8 seconds.
- adds magic damage on his basic attack. , if Evolved, increases basic attack range.
- adds bonus physical damage on her the next 3 basic attacks to her target and all surrounding enemies. passively grants bonus attack speed.
- basic attacks reset his stack timer.
- All champions that are Void-related stack something:
- stacking health, attack range and model size with
- stacking the damage and mana cost of
- stacking his usage of
- stacking the damage and mana cost of
- stacking her Fury for and
- stacking with his spell uses for
- Voidlings stacking the number of summoned
- Given the influence of H.P. Lovecraft on the Void, the symbol of the void is likely inspired by the Yellow Sign, which appeared in Robert W. Chamber's short story, The King in Yellow, which is also inspired heavily by the cosmic horror of Lovecraft.
- Related Music
|Geography of Runeterra|
|Valoran||Factions & Nations|
|Ionia & Oceania||Factions & Nations|