• Is there a reason that Champion spotlights are automatically playing when you visit a page? They should be paused or manually activated, not playing when I visit the pages. Too many websites force you to absorb content rather than allowing you to choose to.

    Also they are huge at the top of the page. Like, in my face. Most people that come to the wiki don't come here to see the spotlight, which in most cases is incredibly dated. People come here to find info on champions, items and abilities that RIOT is not dispensing.

    In my opinion, if you even want to have the spotlight on the wiki, it should be embedded as a small video that pops out and plays when you click on it or something. that way people can actively choose to watch it and not have it like: "hey here's information you didn't ask for, if you don't want it YOU have to do something about it."

      Loading editor
    • The videos are something that Fandom (Wikia) is testing - "wiki modernization". As for autoplaying, it shouldn't be doing that, especially since they said that autoplay would specifically be not included. What browser / OS / etc. are you using?

        Loading editor
    • Hi, thanks for the reply. I was using Chrome, but I just tested it with IE 11 on Aatrox and it plays automatically. Windows 10.

      I know my first post might have seemed a little aggressive. It was not my intention at all.

        Loading editor
    • Agreed. Some spotlight such as Kog'MawSquare Kog'Maw's are terribly outdated.

        Loading editor
    • The video doesn't play automatically for me, as supposedly intended. I'm using FF on Windows 10 (though I doubt the OS really matters).

      Maybe/probably something to do with the browser?

        Loading editor
    • As the code of the video doesn't seem to work properly on internet leading browsers (Chrome/IE) it's more likely it's the code.

        Loading editor
    • Oops, I erred when I made my initial reply. The promised feature was "will not autoplay with audio". The videos autoplay because nobody would ever look at them without autoplay.

        Loading editor
    • @TehAnonymous And if nobody wants to look at them, maybe there's a problem with this champion spotlight feature.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah that doesn't make much sense. If people don't want to watch something it shouldn't be forced on them. And when I scroll down it pops down to the right like an annoying little kid that is just staring at you in silence. It feels like an ad.

      Only newcomers may be interested in the spotlight video's, so why not have them as a pop-out video when clicked on as I initially suggested? Then the people that want to watch them will watch them and people that don't can just go about their business on the site. We don't need to forcefeed information to people. That's not what a wiki site should be about.

      I mean what if you have a fanfic of Morgan Freeman and Donald Trump doing it pop up every time you visit this site. The person that wrote that might enjoy it, but I don't. Your reasoning would be "because otherwise no one will read it?".

        Loading editor
    • All media should be at the bottom of a page or in a seperate tab such as the strategy tab. Anyone that uses this site is going to be looking for numbers. Having a giant player at the top that already clutters a slow loading site awful.

        Loading editor
    • i dont like this new feature of the champ spotlight video at the top of the page; it makes the page load more slowly; i use the wiki to quickly check champ abilities; if i wanna see the whole champ spotlight i go on youtube; plz remove it or at least dont make it autoplay

        Loading editor
    • autoplay + outdated champion spotlight = terrible idea + loading slowly

        Loading editor
    • A straight up awful change.

        Loading editor
    • Is there any chance we can just stop using Wikia? It's gone to utter shit. Try using it without adblock, it's actually hellish.

        Loading editor
    • http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:1237631

      Guys, go ahead and talk to the guy, he's nice, he doesn't bite.

        Loading editor
    • We should follow Wowwiki's lead and move to our own wiki hosting system. I'll gladly donate money to make this happen :)

        Loading editor
    • Combined with the bloated header made by Template:Champion info and Template:Champion tabview the pages are now so slow it is faster to search the info by google than use the wiki for fact checking or tips, not even taking up the fact that patch impact on champion/item is now buried even more deeper to the pages and slowly the more meaningful information about tips and tricks are erased/hidden in the name of fashion.

      With page weight over 6 Mb e.g. Aatrox, 7 Mb for 'mobile' versions, the waiting time starts to be ridiculous. Some page weight analyzer dont even get the pages analyzed and get an error as there is so much cascading stuff. When loading times are as high as 40 seconds with T1 connecting and even google's PageSpeed thinks the page could do better with score of 78/100, I think it would be high time to start reducing those fancy quadra deep templates and eye candy and get back to the lightweight and topic honest articles.

      BluFoot wrote: We should follow Wowwiki's lead and move to our own wiki hosting system. I'll gladly donate money to make this happen :)

      If the wikis deciding people keep pursuing the 'fancy over functionality' path that the wiki has been the past couple years, you would need a supercomputer and to be one hop away from continental node to be able to keep up with the shi... stuff the site is gathering. In the other hand, if people are willing to contribute for site that is lightweight and focused on information rather in eye candy, I can start tinkering one up.

        Loading editor
    • Autoplay. Who came up with this RIDICULOUS idea?! 

      I go to the champion page for quick facts, when the game is loading a match. THE LAST THING I NEED is a video that starts playing without my permission!

      Some options:

      LET US DISABLE THE AUTOPLAY PERMANENTLY

      MOVE IT TO ANOTHER PAGE with a link on the champions page

      REMOVE IT ALTOGETHER

        Loading editor
    • Haa, I refound the fucker. By blocking the element <DIV class="featured-video-wrapper" > with e.g. adblock You get rid of the useless pagesize bloater that has no meaning.

        Loading editor
    • BlackSmith wrote: <DIV class="featured-video-wrapper" >

      Anyone has better element? Because now the video starts to play after 15 mins or so but audio only.

        Loading editor
    • May be better to go to the discord and ask this. This thread is quite dead. :/

        Loading editor
    • @BlackSmith If you care so much, you should use Special:Contact so that Fandom knows how you feel.

        Loading editor
    • GreenMoriyama wrote: May be better to go to the discord and ask this. This thread is quite dead. :/

      This is discussion board, threads only die after archived and information like this should not be lost in chat's.

      TehAnonymous wrote: @BlackSmith If you care so much, you should use Special:Contact so that Fandom knows how you feel.

      Already done but I suppose no harm in sending another.
        Loading editor
    • Hi Guys, I'm from Nukapedia: The Fallout Wiki

      Our commununity hates the videos too, we managed to get some movement from them after we got some press involvement.

      If its something you really don't want, as a community, then you need to fight it as a community.  A few lone voices wont be listened to on this one.

      If there's anything we can do to offer support, let us know. 

        Loading editor
    • We have a petition going here, as a means to get a solid count on the number of nay-sayers. However, I did not fully appreciate the stigma against petitions and users who are against the videos have been reluctant to sign "because petitions never achieve anything".

      What advice do you have on how to fight? Aside from press involvement, unless you'd recommend that. Likewise, if there's anything we can do to help you...!

        Loading editor
    • BlackSmith wrote:

      BlackSmith wrote: <DIV class="featured-video-wrapper" >

      Anyone has better element? Because now the video starts to play after 15 mins or so but audio only.

      I used the "block element" feature in AdBlock repeatedly until the page looked pre-video, which took a considerable number of presses (the first time didn't even remove the video, just some invisible box over it, and there were invisible boxes under the video too - one of them might be the sound).

      My filter list looks like this:

      leagueoflegends.wikia.com##.oo-state-screen-selectable
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com##.oo-start-screen-linear-gradient
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com##.oo-state-screen-poster
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com##.oo-state-screen.oo-start-screen
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com##.oo-player-skin
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com###ooyala-plugins-element
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com##.plugins
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com###ooyala-inner-wrapper-fgxxof
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com##.innerWrapper.oo-player
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com###ooyala-article-video
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com##.ooyala-article-video.oo-player-container
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com##.video-container
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com###article-video
      leagueoflegends.wikia.com##.article-video.ready-to-play
      

      Some of it _might_ not be required to achieve functionality - but I haven't noticed anything I wanted not working.

        Loading editor
    • Emptylord wrote: We have a petition going here, as a means to get a solid count on the number of nay-sayers. However, I did not fully appreciate the stigma against petitions and users who are against the videos have been reluctant to sign "because petitions never achieve anything".

      What advice do you have on how to fight? Aside from press involvement, unless you'd recommend that. Likewise, if there's anything we can do to help you...!

      Might be best to take off advice off site (our official wiki email is nukapedia@gmail.com). However guys don't discount the value of the petition. Clear universal outrage shows they don't have consensus - you do, and did manage to make some movement (a virtual meeting. It's also served as proof for further steps that have yielded results (it's easier to show a reporter this is being forced on you with the petition than without.

      If you're aware of other wikis that are resisting this please feel free to pass my details on.

        Loading editor
    • So after many hours of science, I've found a fix. Two things:

      1) This only hides the videos (with a fix for the audio playback myself and BlackSmith had). The container still loads, and will attempt to access the video content. However, it will be blocked, and thus the data usage (primarily a mobile/phone user issue) will be substantially reduced.

      2) This requires the usage of multiple browser plugins, so might not be a solution you can use.


      Plugins required:

      - Your choice of AdBlock that allows for custom filter/rules.

      - Stylish on Chrome, or the Firefox equivalent. If you use IE/Edge, you clearly have brain damage and I won't help you.


      AdBlock rule:

      ooyala.com


      Stylish script:

      https://userstyles.org/styles/149911/

        Loading editor
    • To opt out personally out of the champion spotlights, which are on top of the champion pages add following code to your users common.css page:

      /* No champion spotlight videos on top of the champion pages */
      .featured-video-wrapper {
          display:none !important;
      }

      Special:MyPage/common.css

        Loading editor
    • Oh, I forgot to post anything here. Ive been talking with the developers and den some strides. We won’t be able to turn them off entirely, but I’ve gotten them to remove all the outdated spotlights and have negotiated possibly removing all videos that will become outdated more quickly than they are willing to update them (which I’ve inferred is yearly).

      However, we would need to come up with appropriate pages that meet their requirements as our end of the bargain (so to speak). I want to take this parley seriously and honestly think some of our text-only articles could be improved with videos.

      Pages I’ve thought of, but please contribute:

      • Classes
      • Jungle/jungling
      • Lanes
      • Runes
      • Maps (or per map)
      • Cosmetics
        • Skins
        • Emotes
        • Ward skins
      • Champion mastery
      • Servers

      Corporate will be producing professional quality videos for us, although we would be involved in script writing.

        Loading editor
    • You really should stop feeding into this, you're actively contributing to the existing problem and making it worse.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, successfully getting them to remove the outdated videos and getting them to a stage where they will remove all Champion spoitlights is “worse”. They aren’t going to disable Featured Videos entirely - end of discussion at this point. I fail to see how making it better for us makes it worse.

        Loading editor
    • You're literally doing nothing but adding these obnoxious video adverts to even more pages. Nobody cares if they're up to date, nobody wants them in the first place. It's incredible that you can't see how they've manipulated you, they weren't even subtle about it.

        Loading editor
    • ... it's incredible how bad at basic maths you are. Removing the video from 138 articles that people visit regularly and requesting they put them on maybe a dozen articles that are less used and would actually be improved by a video... such an increase.

      I'll just message them and tell them to go ahead and put them back on all the Champion articles, if that's what you'd prefer. I'm so manipulated into wasting my time into improving the viewing experience for readers like you.

        Loading editor
    • Except they aren't removing them, but you keep telling yourself that.

        Loading editor
    • Zilean, hmm, no video. I wonder where it went. Anivia likewise. Ooh, and Xin Zhao. It's almost as if they've removed the videos from the list of (nearly) 60 articles I sent them saying they were outdated, and said almost all the remaining ones would be out-dated within the next few months.

      This is when we started discussing which articles they should be putting the videos on. Yes, there's still some videos - I never said they'd all been removed. I said they would remove them all - once I respond to the message about which articles they can use.

      And before you say it (and as I've already said) - "none" isn't an option, which is why I want to take their request seriously (rather than it look like I'm cheesing them by sending, say, one article for them to use).

      I also do legitimately think those articles I've listed would be improved with a video, at least to the quality of video I've seen on other sites.

        Loading editor
    • http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Featured_Videos

      How do Featured Videos benefit communities? Advertisements in front of Featured Videos have allowed us to reduce the number of advertisements across FANDOM wikis. By modernizing the site, we have slashed 30% of the ad units on your communities. This is because video ads are of such high value that many of the other smaller advertisements that were on the page could be removed from the site. This improves the overall design of your community, as well as the speed with which your pages load. That, in turn, leads to more satisfied readers.

      Additionally, by 2020, 80% of web traffic is expected to come from videos. We live in an increasingly video-driven online world, and it is important for FANDOM to keep up with user expectations about how to consume content. In doing so, we can create compelling ways to draw more fans into your communities and consume your written content.

      Fandom decided that they will go with video ads. We could only influence this part a little in the way of telling them that some spotlights are outdated.

        Loading editor
    • I don't think Fandom realise that 80% probably doesn't include News and Encyclopedias. That basically just means such a vast number of people use YouTube, Twitch and PornHUB that only 20% of the bandwidth is left for other services. It doesn't mean those services should try to "keep up".

        Loading editor
    • It's still crap. Anything changing about it soon?

        Loading editor
    • AeonsLegend wrote:
      It's still crap. Anything changing about it soon?


      No, nothing will ever change about it. The fix I posted above still works just fine though. It removes the videos from every page of the wiki as if they were never there, which vastly improves the browsing experience on every level. Load times drop significantly, scrolling doesn't stutter as the shitty video wrapper breaks the page when it attempts to stalk you, and best of all there's no obnoxious sound on what should be a completely silent page.

        Loading editor
    • those videos are always autostarting in silent mode nowadays

        Loading editor
    • an anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message