True damage is one of the four types of damage in League of Legends, the others being magic damage, physical damage and pure damage. True damage ignores armor and magic resistance, as well as other forms of damage reduction such as , , , and .
Blocking true damage
- Abilities or summoner spells which deal true damage are still blocked by spell shields.
- Standard Attacks which deal additional true damage are still capable of being blocked by .
- Invulnerability (e.g. ) and will block all damage to a target champion, including true damage.
- Using ( ) can dodge true damage from on-hit effects and standard attacks.
Countering true damage
As true damage cannot be mitigated or reduced, there are three possible ways to cope with it.
- Stacking health causes sources of flat true damage (e.g. ) to effectively deal a lesser percentage of total health.
- Reducing the instances of damage that apply true damage. This especially applies to sources that scale based on maximum health, like Cold Steel and/or the cripple effect from . , which are greatly hindered by effects like
- Shields to absorb the true damage, such as and .
Dealing true damage
Champions who deal true damage with standard attack
- (second cast, delayed after 1.5 second)
- (upon hitting a Vital marked by with basic attacks)
- (triggered by basic attacks periodically. Can be refreshed by destroying a )
- (upon basic attacking champions marked as the Villain)
- damage over time) (applies true
- (upon the 3rd consecutive hit on a single target)
- (active only)
Champions who deal true damage with abilities
- (upon retraction)
- Curse (marked enemies receive 10% of all magic damage as true damage)
- and (upon hitting a Vital marked by )
- (with , in the center)
- and (only to champions marked as the Villain)
- (only to non-epic monsters, registered as true damage in the end of game statistics.)
- (only to minions, neutral monsters, and pets)
- (at 100 Fury)
- (at rank 5, 20% bonus)
- (upon 3rd consecutive spell damage on a single target) and (if the target is )
- asleep and take the next damage) (when the target falls
- over 5 seconds, applying true damage Grievous Wounds and revealing them for the duration. The sight will not reveal stealth champions. (600 range) (210 second cooldown) : Ignites an enemy champion, dealing
- to the target large or medium true damagemonster, enemy minion, or pet. Using Smite against a large monster restores 70 (+ 10% of maximum health). (500 er range) (15 second cooldown) : Deals
- to the target large or medium true damagemonster, enemy minion, or pet. Challenging Smite can be cast on enemy champions, revealing them for 4 seconds, reducing their damage against you by 20% and making them take over 3 seconds from your basic attacks for the duration. (500 true damage er range) (15 second cooldown) : Deals
- to the target large or medium true damagemonster, enemy minion, or pet. Chilling Smite can be cast on enemy champions, dealing and stealing 20% of their movement speed for 2 seconds. (500 true damage er range) (15 second cooldown) : Deals
- / buff (turrets and monsters only)
- (first hit on turrets)
- Despite popular belief, champions whose abilities have health costs associated with them do not deal true damage to themselves when they use an ability which requires health to cast.
- This can be evidenced when they have an absorption shield on them, when they use their health-based ability, the cost of it penetrates the shield and directly drains the health of the user, in contrary to true damage that has to break any absorption shield on the target to reach their health.
- The Nexus Obelisk at the heart of a team's base, contrary to popular belief, does not deal true damage, but pure damage, which is similar to true damage in that it ignores all forms of resistances but also has the caveat of ignoring damage immunity, shields and death prevention buffs.
- True damage is unaffected by damage reductions such as .
- True damage is not amplified by damage modifiers from runes such as , and .
- As of patch V3.15, true damage is no longer amplified by abilities such and .