True damage is one of the four types of damage in League of Legends, the others being magic damage, physical damage and pure damage (which is only used by the fountain turrets). True damage ignores armor and magic resistance, as well as other forms of damage reduction such as , and .
Blocking true damage
- Abilities or summoner spells which deal true damage are still blocked by effects that prevent damage such as the passive on , , .
- Standard Attacks which deal additional true damage are still capable of being blocked by .
- area of effect, including true damage. will block all damage to a target champion, including true damage. will block all damage to any champions below 10% of their maximum health in the
- Using ( ) can dodge true damage from on-hit effects and true damage from standard attacks.
- damage over time true damage passive and the debuff from and . and corresponding and are also capable of preventing and cleansing
Countering true damage
- Building health causes sources of flat true damage (e.g.
) to effectively deal a lesser percentage of total health. This only partially applies to , because it scales based on maximum health.
- Reducing Vayne's attack speed (via items such as or ) mitigates damage from by reducing how often it procs. The bonus resist/health also diminish physical damage effects, which usually comprise the large majority of Vayne's total damage.
- For each Silver Bolt proc, bonus health is effectively equal to (1 - % True damage) * (bonus health). For rank 5 , this means Bonus Health over 12 autoattacks remains 87% effective—still quite efficient. For all the above reasons, health constitutes an essential aspect of efficiently countering damage output, contrary to popular belief.
- Shields such as absorb true damage and do not count towards max health; therefore, they protect equally well vs. all sources of true damage.
- Magic-only shields such as and the passive on and will have no impact on true damage.
Dealing true damage
Champions who deal true damage with standard attack
- (upon hitting a Vital marked by with autoattacks)
- (triggered by autoattacks every 15 seconds on one target. Can be refreshed by destroying a )
- (upon autoattacking champions marked as the Villain)
- (active only)
- damage over time) (applies true
- (upon 3rd consecutive hit on a single target)
- (active only)
Champions who deal true damage with abilities
- (upon retraction)
- (Second cast)
- and (upon hitting a Vital marked by )
- (with , in the start of ability)
- (only to champions marked as the Villain)
- (only to non-epic monsters, registered as true damage in the end of game statistics.)
- (only to minions, neutral monsters, and pets.)
- (100 Fury)
- (upon 3rd consecutive abilities on a single target)
- Unique: Stores 15% of all physical and magic damage received, and is taken as damage over time true damage instead, dealing one-third of the stored damage every second. : Passive:
- Unique – Sorcery: Damaging a champion or turret deals 25 bonus true damage (5 second cooldown against champions, no cooldown against turrets). : Passive:
- Unique: While within a 1000 range of your Partner, heal for 12% of the damage your Partner deals to champions and redirect 12% of the damage your Partner takes from champions (after reductions) to you as true damage. Both effects are reduced to 6% if the item holder is ranged. : Passive:
- Unique: Target an area within 5500 range. After 2.5 second, call down a beam of light to heal allies for , deals 10% of maximum health true damage to enemy champions and 250 true damage to minions (120 second cooldown). Can be used while dead. : Active:
- champions, dealing and stealing 20% of their movement speed for 2 seconds. true damage : Passive: Chilling Smite can be cast on enemy
- champions, revealing them for 4 seconds, reducing their damage against you by 20% and making them take over 3 seconds from your basic attacks for the duration. true damage : Passive: Challenging Smite can be cast on enemy
- over 5 seconds, applying true damage Grievous Wounds and revealing them for the duration. The sight will not reveal stealth champions. (600 range) (210 second cooldown) : Ignites an enemy champion, dealing
- , based on true damagechampion level, to a monster or enemy minion. (500 range) (15 second cooldown) : Smiting deals
- , based on true damagechampion level, to a monster or enemy minion. Challenging Smite can be cast on enemy champions, revealing them for 4 seconds, reducing their damage against you by 20% and making them take over 3 seconds from your basic attacks for the duration. (500 true damage range) (15 second cooldown) : Smiting deals
- , based on true damagechampion level, to a monster or enemy minion. Chilling Smite can be cast on enemy champions, dealing and stealing 20% of their movement speed for 2 seconds. (500 true damage range) (15 second cooldown) : Smiting deals
- Despite popular belief, champions whose abilities have health costs associated with them do not deal true damage to themselves when they use an ability which requires health to cast.
- This can be evidenced when they have an absorption shield on them, when they use their health-based ability, the cost of it penetrates the shield and directly drains the health of the user, in contrary to true damage that has to break any absorption shield on the target to reach its hitpoints.
- The Nexus Obelisk at the heart of a team's base, contrary to popular belief, does not deal true damage, but pure damage, which is similar to true damage in that it ignores all forms of resistances but also has the caveat of ignoring damage immunity, shields and death prevention buffs.
- True damage is unaffected by damage reductions such as .
- True damage is not amplified by the mastery Executioner.
- As of patch V3.15, true damage is no longer amplified by abilities such and .