|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- It's essential to plan ahead which abilities you will learn with Udyr. Every ability has multiple usages and five levels. The max champion level is 18, limiting one of Udyr's abilities to Tier 3, or two to Tier 4. Typically, a player would choose either Tiger Stance or Phoenix Stance as their main source of damage.
- Tiger Stance deals high AD burst damage and gives a strong attack speed steroid, giving great dueling and objective destroying ability.
- Phoenix Stance is useful for sustained AoE damage and is great for quickly clearing minion waves/jungle monsters.
- Turtle Stance is great at sustain due to both the shield and life steal.
- Bear Stance can be used offensively to chase and stun targets, or defensively to stun a pursuer and run away.
- Repeatedly switching Udyr's stances is required to keep up his Monkey's Agility effect. The activation buffs from Tiger Stance, Turtle Stance, Bear Stance and Phoenix Stance persist for their full duration, even when Udyr switches the stances.
- This is usually referred to as Stancedancing. With the help of his passive, Udyr gains flat movement and attack speed boosts which stack up to three times and increase his damage per second. Keep an eye on his mana as repeatedly using stances easily drains him of his mana due to the higher mana costs at the early tiers of his skills.
- Udyr is an effective farmer and pusher. Combining Tiger Stance's and Monkey's Agility's attack speed increase with the area of effect magic damage from Phoenix Stance can clear minion waves very fast.
- When pushing waves or attacking objectives, alternate between your offensive stances as long as your mana is sufficient. Be careful when using Phoenix Stance though, the AoE magic damage can hit enemy champions and draw turret aggro.
- In late game stages, Udyr can act as a powerful solo objective destroyer by alternating between Tiger Stance (gives attack speed plus the 15% on-hit attack damage) and Turtle Stance (to reduce damage taken). Should the enemy team draw near, Bear Stance's movement speed boost helps to retreat quickly.
- You can engage with Bear Stance to stun an enemy champion before switching stances or targets. But consider that the persistent effect has a 6 seconds cooldown for each individual target.
- Using your stun before activating Bear Stance's movement speed again can drastically help by increasing the distance to your enemy when escaping.
- Against some champions, it's wiser to refrain from using your Bear Stance stun early until it's really needed (e.g. to interrupt Katarina's Death Lotus), since that gives the enemy 6 seconds until they can be stunned again.
- Udyr's is a pure melee-focused fighter. Therefore, he is vulnerable to kiting. Try to avoid ranged harass and CC. In early game phases you should coordinate with your allies to encircle targets or wait for them to initiate as Udyr usually needs to all-in at engages.
- Udyr lack of ranged gap-closers and his low mana pool can make gank attempts quite challenging if the enemy didn't heavily overextend. As you need to get into melee range first, consider using Turtle Stance before a gank to minimize damage from the enemy.
- The classic Flash + Bear Stance combo is the probably fastest way for ganking, as Udyr's primary problem with ganking is reaching the enemy in time.
- It's helpful to ask your allied laner if the enemy champion has used Flash, dispositioning abilities, or disengaging abilities (like ranged CC) recently to make sure you don't waste your summoner spells for a single gank attempt.
Being a pure melee champion with no ranged abilities, Udyr relies on high movement speed and defense to stay mobile and resilient. His build options are very flexible as you can mix and match many items with the effects of his stances. While Udyr is not very item-dependent as others in the early game, mana problems might occur when overusing abilities carelessly. The need of mana and mana regen will decrease with the game's progress, though.
- gives small spikes of bonus damage along with mana. Consider this when you don't need passive speed boost.
- grants a small armor boost which would ideally build from if you chose it along with health potions as starting option.
- Udyr and it builds into later. He can charge it quickly by constantly switching around with stances. This also proves useful for a splitpush oriented build where you would need more mana than usual and profits from defensive mana items like thanks to the high mana pool. is probably the strongest mana sustain for
- If Udyr can access Crest of Insight for most of the time, you don't need to build any mana regen items at all. This is usually the case if your mid or top laner aren't very mana dependant or he/she is building for another source of mana sustain.
As most defensive and some offensive items also grant cooldown reduction, consider capping this first if you want to constantly use your abilities.
- Udyr is very susceptible to crowd control and heavy slowing effects at first since he has no gap closer with range. Tenacity is a top-priority if the enemy has disruptive skills.
- , and have highly helpful attributes to mitigate these weaknesses. The increased movement speed is handy for easier juking of enemy abilities.
- Turtle Stance is your primarily defensive tool which should be used often as possible if you are heavily pressured by enemy attacks. It effectively relies on armor and magic resist to increase endurance even further.
- kiting tool as both the active and passive effects slow speed attributes of enemies. It has also its uses for engaging in combination with Bear Stance. Combining this item with is a good way to deal with attack speed reliant enemies and the 170 bonus armor will drastically increase your shield's defensive strength. is a good anti-
- For magic resist, a simple into is a practical early game option for Udyr. Then it's up to the player which upgrade is more needed.
- cooldown reduction. It has good synergy with all life steal and health regen boosting resources. is usually effective against sustained damage and also grants appreciated
- health points more and is effective against targeted CC or burst damage which would otherwise prevent you from reaching your target quickly. grants few
- When in need of an engage-type item, Udyr's ganking or engaging ability by a formidable degree. can provide some beneficial stats and a useful active for Udyr in the early or mid-game stages to get in position. In conjunction with a supporter purchasing , this can improve
With his good scalings, Udyr can also afford some offensive equipment. However, if you aren't that confident, always consider survivability over offensive items as a wrong build order backfires quickly if the enemy manages to lock you down. Your choice between Tiger Stance and Phoenix Stance can also affect the build path.
- An early is generally helpful to stick to targets due to the movement speed increase on-hit and builds into .
- Because of his low base cooldowns, Udyr profits well from items with the Spellblade passive.
- Udyr. All attributes (especially the two passives and movement speed) have great synergy with him. is arguably the strongest offensive almost-core item for
- For more defense, AoE damage and crowd control, is a cheaper alternative, granting armor, cooldown reduction and a high mana boost. The passive grants a reliable AoE slow, allowing him to lock down targets better.
- attack damage which allows for lethal burst to quickly eliminate high priority targets. The passive gives Tiger Stance pushing power and procs life steal as well, increasing his sustainability in close-up fights immensely, even further if is in your possession. gives high
- Turtle Stance, it provides strong defense along with the high AD bonus based on missing health. is a powerful addition to this path for multiple reasons. Not only does the passive shield increase his survival chances against magic or true damage, but also increases his offensive power at critical health level. In conjunction with
- Udyr another source of crowd control to improve his chasing, dueling or disengaging potential. grants more sustained damage, especially if the enemy tends to stack health. Its active effect grants
- Some armor penetration on Udyr can prove helpful as it boosts his auto attacks and especially Tiger Stance's bonus physical damage. has an active which temporarily grants high speed stats for Udyr. on the other hand assists his AD specialized teammates as well, as his Tiger Stance DoT quickly applies the full effect with a single hit.
- Tiger Stance's attack speed bonus works very well additional magic damage of , or multiple stacks of .
- DOT damage of Challenging Smite works very well with DOT damage of Tiger Stance.
- magic resistance as long as he keeps attacking. grants massive attack speed to increase the ratio of Phoenix third hits. The passive essentially grants Udyr a source of magic penetration while boosting his own
- tenacity. It also opens up the option to choose over . gives the highest non-active movement speed boost of any item in this game plus granting precious
- As Phoenix Stance deals mainly AoE damage, incorporating items like , or could drastically improve Udyr's farming and pushing power as well severely damaging clumped enemy groups.
Udyr is naturally made for the jungle. He has in-built attack speed steroids to increase his clearing speed. Turtle Stance provides him with protection and sustain. Giving one or two skill points in it after Phoenix Stance or Tiger Stance ensures effective and safe jungle gameplay. Balance the usage of your stances to keep your early mana pool healthy.
- In the updated jungle, always try to time your Smite spell in a fashion where you drop large monsters to critical health and can finish them off with your basic attacks to obtain bonus buffs and experience.
- Tiger Stance has higher burst for more quick single target damage which is usually more powerful for ganks or dueling the enemy jungler. When Udyr is able to afford attack damage, Tiger Stance can scale favorably into the later aspects of the game.
- Phoenix Stance potentially clears the jungle faster due to the area of effect damage. This skill build is usually used to quickly farm the jungle in order to get earlier access to important equipment and often turns into more of a tank role with strong splitpush potential.
With the introduction of new jungle equipment, Udyr is granted various choices on how to interact during the game's progress.
- Chilling Smite are strong ganking tools to threaten the enemy jungler or ganked laners alike as they give Udyr a form of ranged target CC. Use this to aid your teammates in locking down targets or catching up to enemies. and
- By going for Challenging Smite can be alternatively used if you prioritize to heavily threaten the enemy jungler. It switches the slow from Chilling Smite for more bonus damage and a damage reduction debuff which can give the upper hand in duels. Challenging Smite also synergize well with Tiger Stance's damage over time. ,
- Blasting Smite are very useful in farming the jungle with alarming speed as it deals area of effect damage and a stun to the whole monster camp. and
- Scavenging Smite are providing additional power to counterjungle your enemies' camps. The bonus movement speed upon a successful kill post- smiting a large monster helps to flee quickly after the raid. and
The new enchantments can also open up for various build orders and playstyles.
- Udyr's jungle presence. has similar effects to the former item but provides more bonus damage overall. The massive attack speed further assists in
- provides massive health and tenacity which makes the choice of boots flexible.
- Tiger Stance). is an aggressive option if you need armor penetration without sacrificing a slot for either a or (especially if you prefer
Starting items: , × 2 and
- Skill progression #1: Phoenix Stance → Turtle Stance/ Tiger Stance → Phoenix Stance → Bear Stance Turtle Stance
- Jungling order: Gromp ( Smite pre-kill + finish to gain the Gift of the Toadstool) → Sentinel → Heal up/upgrade Machete → Wolves → Cinderling ( Smite) → Gank/Jungle depending on your upgrade.
- Attempt to catch the Rift Scuttler whenever possible but keep in mind that this monster will usually run away from its attackers. Fortunately, the scuttler takes more damage when it's locked down, so make use of Bear Stance's stun to finish it off faster and grant your team a vision advantage and river control.
- In case one wants to discover enemy wards prior ganks easier, you can clear the Crimson Raptor jungle camp prior to obtain the Razor Sharp buff which grants true sight for the next ward that might spot you. This can greatly assist in reducing the enemies' vision range.
Runes and Masteries
- Tiger Stance recommended runes:
- Phoenix Stance recommended runes:
- As Udyr is a full-fledged melee champion with no gap closers, he is thus very vulnerable to kiting.
- Ranged champions generally have an advantage against Udyr due to his all melee skills. Be aware of his movement speed to keep this benefit up.
- Building Tenacity items (i.e. or ) can reduce Bear Stance's stun duration, making his CC less effective when ganking.
- Against a laning Udyr, it can prove beneficial to make him waste mana by either bait engages and quick disengage or punish him depening on which stance he used. This can easily hamper his early game lane presence, which forces him to regain his lost mana by either using up his potions or recalling to make him lose some experience and farm.
- Once he gets some of his core gear, an Udyr alternating Turtle Stance and Bear Stance is one of the harder champions in the game to chase down. Bear Stance's effect can easily make you regret chasing him if back-up arrives. It is best to provide vision before attempting to commit and kill him and being aware of the whereabouts of his teammates.
- Disabling Udyr from attacking or switching stances can reduce his threatening power, for example Renekton has a potentially longer stun duration.
- Champions who can heavily slow or disposition Udyr for extended periods can prove strong against him (some examples being Nasus, Kog'Maw and Thresh) or can run faster (champions like Hecarim, Rammus) will be able outperform Udyr and escape better if necessary. Singed is a good counter pick because Udyr has a hard time reaching him without gapclosers (just make sure to buy movement speed and armor items).
- Take care of which stance and item he is taking :
- If he max Tiger Stance, and take mostly AD items and don't take attack speed, take armor and know that his Q hit will do damage over time, so don't be surprised that you loose a lot of HP in the few next seconds, you can counter him by taking armor.
- If he max Phoenix Stance and take mostly AS items and on hit, know that most of his damage will be magic. You can also switch to AS reduction such as or .