|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
|"Submit to my designs."
- Champion Spotlight
- Recommended Items
- Playing As Udyr
- Playing Against Udyr
- Ability Usage
- It's essential to plan ahead which abilities you will learn with Udyr. Every ability has multiple usages and five levels. The max champion level is 18, limiting one of Udyr's abilities to rank 3, or two to rank 4. Typically, a player would choose either Tiger Stance or Phoenix Stance as their main source of damage.
- Tiger Stance deals high AD burst damage and gives a strong attack speed steroid, giving great dueling and objective destroying ability.
- Phoenix Stance is useful for sustained AoE damage and is great for quickly clearing minion waves/jungle monsters.
- Turtle Stance is great at sustain due to both the shield and life steal.
- Bear Stance can be used offensively to chase and stun targets, or defensively to stun a pursuer and run away.
- Repeatedly switching Udyr's stances is required to keep up Monkey's Agility. The activation buffs from Tiger Stance, Turtle Stance, Bear Stance and Phoenix Stance persist for their full duration, even when Udyr switches the stances.
- This is usually referred to as 'Stance-dancing'. With the help of Monkey's Agility, Udyr gains flat movement and attack speed boosts which stack up to three times and increase his damage per second. Keep an eye on his mana as repeatedly using stances easily drains him of his mana due to the higher mana costs at the early tiers of his skills.
- Udyr is an effective farmer and pusher. Combining Tiger Stance's and Monkey's Agility's attack speed increase with the area of effect magic damage from Phoenix Stance can clear minion waves very fast.
- When pushing waves or attacking objectives, alternate between your offensive stances as long as your mana is sufficient. Be careful when using Phoenix Stance though, the AoE magic damage can hit enemy champions and draw turret aggro.
- In late game stages, Udyr can act as a powerful solo objective destroyer by alternating between Tiger Stance (gives attack speed plus the 15% on-hit attack damage) and Turtle Stance (to reduce damage taken). Should the enemy team draw near, Bear Stance's movement speed boost helps to retreat quickly.
- You can engage with Bear Stance to stun an enemy champion before switching stances or targets. But consider that the persistent effect has a 6 seconds cooldown for each individual target.
- Using your stun before activating Bear Stance's movement speed again can drastically help by increasing the distance to your enemy when escaping.
- Against some champions, it's wiser to refrain from using your Bear Stance stun early until it's really needed (e.g. to interrupt Katarina's Death Lotus), since that gives the enemy 6 seconds until they can be stunned again.
- Udyr's is a pure melee-focused fighter. Therefore, he is vulnerable to kiting. Try to avoid ranged harass and CC. In early game phases you should coordinate with your allies to encircle targets or wait for them to initiate as Udyr usually needs to all-in at engages.
- Udyr lack of ranged gap-closers and his low mana pool can make gank attempts quite challenging if the enemy didn't heavily overextend. As you need to get into melee range first, consider using Turtle Stance before a gank to minimize damage from the enemy.
- The classic Bear Stance combo is the probably fastest way for ganking, as Udyr's primary problem with ganking is reaching the enemy in time.
- It's helpful to ask your allied laner if the enemy champion has used , displacements, or disengaging abilities (like ranged CC) recently to make sure you don't waste your summoner spells for a single gank attempt.
- Mastery Usage
- Item Usage
- Being a pure melee champion with no ranged abilities, Udyr relies on high movement speed and defense to stay mobile and resilient. His build options are very flexible as you can mix-and-match many items with the effects of his stances.
- While Udyr is not very item-dependent as others in the early game, mana problems can occur if overusing abilities carelessly. The need of mana and mana regen decreases with the game's progress, though.
- gives small spikes of bonus damage along with mana. Consider this first if you don't need passive speed boost.
- grants a small armor boost which would ideally build from if you chose it along with s as starting option.
- Udyr and it builds into later. He can charge it quickly by constantly switching around with stances. This also proves useful for a splitpush oriented build where you would need more mana than usual and profits from defensive mana items like thanks to the high mana pool. is probably the strongest mana sustain for
- If Udyr can acquire Crest of Insight most of the time, you don't need to build any mana regen items at all. This is usually the case if your mid or top laner aren't very mana-dependant or they are building another source of mana sustain.
- As most defensive and some offensive items also grant cooldown reduction, consider capping this first if you want to constantly use your abilities.
- Udyr is very susceptible to crowd control and heavy slowing effects at first since he has no gap closer with range. or have highly helpful attributes to mitigate these weaknesses. The increased movement speed is handy for easier juking of enemy abilities.
- Turtle Stance is your primary defensive skill which should be used often as possible if heavily pressured by enemy attacks. It effectively relies on armor and magic resist to increase its endurance further.
- kiting tool as both the active and passive effects slow speed attributes of enemies. It has also its uses for engaging in combination with Bear Stance or . Combining it with is helps dealing with attack damage and attack speed-reliant enemies. The bonus armor will favourably increase your shield's defensive strength. is a good anti-
- For magic resist, a simple into is a common early game option for Udyr.
- If in need of an engage-type item, Udyr in early/ mid game stages to get in position. In conjunction with a supporter providing speed-boosting effects or abilites, Udyr's's ganking or engaging ability can be improved to a formidable degree. can provide some beneficial stats and a useful active for
- With his good scalings, Udyr can also afford some offensive equipment. However, if you aren't that confident, always consider survivability over offensive items as a wrong build order backfires quickly if the enemy manages to lock you down. Your choice between Tiger Stance and Phoenix Stance can also affect the build path.
- An early is generally helpful to stick to targets (as the passive grants speed on-hit) and builds into or .
- Because of his low base cooldowns, Udyr profits well from items with the Spellblade passive.
- Udyr. All attributes (especially the two passives and movement speed) have great synergy with him. is arguably the strongest offensive almost-core item for
- For more defense, AoE damage and crowd control, is a cheaper alternative, granting armor, cooldown reduction and a high mana boost. The passive grants a reliable AoE slow, allowing him to lock down targets better.
- Tiger Stance is Udyr's primary AD focussed ability. It offers bonus damage and good attack speed by itself and becomes very dangerous when building some attack damage and armor penetration.
- attack damage which allows for lethal burst to quickly eliminate high priority targets. The passive gives Tiger Stance pushing power and procs life steal as well, increasing his sustainability in close-up fights immensely, even further if is in your possession. gives high
- Turtle Stance, Udyr becomes even more a force to be reckoned with. is very powerful addition with multiple benefits. Not only does the passive shield increase his survival chances against magic or true damage (as true damage is counted as "spell damage" in some cases), but also increases his strength at critical health. In conjunction with
- Udyr another source of soft CC to improve his chasing, dueling or disengaging potential. grants more sustained damage, especially if the enemy tends to stack health. Its active effect grants
- Some armor penetration can work wonderson Udyr, as it boosts his auto attacks and especially Tiger Stance's bonus physical damage. also gives an active which temporarily buffs Udyr's speed.
- Tiger Stance DoT applies the full 30% effect almost instantly. , on the other hand, supports any AD-specialized player including himself, as his
- Tiger Stance's own attack speed bonus synergizes exceptionally well with additional on-hit effects ( , multiple stacks of or )
- Phoenix Stance is Udyr's source of area of effect damage and farming power which mainly scales with attack speed. It is also the most recurring choice for a heavy tank-oriented build.
- Udyr a source of pseudo-magic penetration which boosts his own magic resistance if he keeps attacking, and when the latter is fully stacked into it allows Phoenix Stance to proc every second attack, effectively boosting Udyr's DPS. and grant massive attack speed to increase the ratio of Phoenix third hits. The former's passive grants
- As Phoenix Stance deals mainly AoE damage, combining items like , or can drastically improve Udyr's farming and pushing power as well severely damaging clumped enemy groups.
- As Udyr is a full-fledged melee champion with no gap closers, he is thus very vulnerable to kiting.
- Ranged champions generally have an advantage against Udyr due to his all melee skills. Be aware of his movement speed to keep this benefit up.
- Bear Stance's stun duration, making his CC less effective when ganking. 's Tenacity can reduce
- Against a laning Udyr, it can prove beneficial to make him waste mana by either bait engages and quick disengage or punish him depending on which stance he used. This can easily hamper his early game lane presence, which forces him to regain his lost mana by either using up his potions or recalling to make him lose some experience and farm.
- Once he gets some of his core gear, an Udyr alternating Turtle Stance and Bear Stance is one of the harder champions in the game to chase down. Bear Stance's effect can easily make you regret chasing him if back-up arrives. It is best to provide vision before attempting to commit and kill him and being aware of the whereabouts of his teammates.
- Disabling Udyr from attacking or switching stances can reduce his threatening power, for example Renekton has a potentially longer stun duration.
- Champions with heavy slows or disruptive skills are efficient in keeping Udyr at bay (i.e. Nasus, Kog'Maw, Alistar and Thresh).
- Be aware of his primary stances and item build:
- If he maxes Tiger Stance, he will take mostly AD items and some attack speed. Counter it by boosting armor and health and know that his Q hits will do surprising damage over time, so you might lose a bunch of HP in the few next seconds.
- If he maxes Phoenix Stance, he usually goes for attack speed, tank and on-hit items, and most of his damage will be magic. You can switch to AS reduction such as or .