|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Plan ahead which skills you learn with Udyr. Every ability has five levels but the max champion level is 18, therefore one of Udyr's skills will be not at full power. This may cause players to choose either Tiger Stance and Phoenix Stance as their main source of damage. Tiger Stance grants single target burst damage plus an attack speed steroid while Phoenix Stance is useful for sustained AoE damage and clearing minion waves. Depending on the skill build, sometimes it is wiser to have two skills at level 4 than to have one skill at level 3.
- Repeatedly switching Udyr's stances is important to make use of his passive and boosting his damage. The attack speed buff from Tiger Stance, the shield of Turtle Stance, the movement speed boost Bear Stance and the AoE wave damage of Phoenix Stance persist for their full duration even when switching stances. For example, combining Tiger Stance's buff with Phoenix Stance allows for faster extra burst from the third Phoenix Stance hit.
- Stance-dancing gives Udyr stacking flat movement and attack speed boosts from his passive Monkey's Agility. Be aware of his mana as his abilities have high mana costs at early ranks and his general mana pool is pretty low.
- Udyr can easily tank and clear minion waves. Turtle Stance provides a damage-absorbing shield and sustainability from his damage output to ensure the minions don't deplete his health. Monkey's Agility's and Tiger Stance's attack speed combined with the area of effect magic damage from Phoenix Stance can clear and push minion waves very quickly. or synergize with this for even more area of effect damage.
- When pushing waves or attacking objectives, alternate between Tiger Stance and Phoenix Stance. Be careful though as the AoE magic damage from Phoenix Stance can deal damage to enemy champions and aggro towers.
- Late game, Udyr can singlehandedly destroy towers easily by alternating between Tiger Stance (attack speed plus the 15% on-hit attack damage) and Turtle Stance (to reduce damage taken). If the enemy team draws near, you can quickly escape with the movement speed boosts from Bear Stance.
- You can engage with Bear Stance to stun an enemy champion before switching stances or targets. Bear Stance's effect has a 6 seconds cooldown for each individual target, so it is a better idea to either stun another champions or to use your main damage stance ( Tiger Stance or Phoenix Stance) during the stun duration.
- Udyr is a pure melee-focussed fighter. This means he can be very vulnerable to kiting, so try avoid ranged harass and CC and build accordingly. In earlier stages, you should coordinate with your allies to encircle targets or wait for them to initiate.
- Udyr's lack of ranged gap-closers and his small mana pool can make ganking sometimes problematic. Having strategies for engaging and staying within melee range is crucial.
- A Flash + Bear Stance combo is usually very effective during ganking as Udyr's primary problem with ganking is reaching the enemy quickly. Ask the person in the lane you'll gank if the enemy champion has used Flash or a similar ability recently to make sure you don't waste yours or you risk your target escaping.
- Udyr's early damage with Tiger Stance is a force to be reckoned with, especially with high AD runes. A good strategy in early stages of the game involves to make use of movement speed boosting abilities, runes and masteries so you can chase your enemies through the lane or jungle, possibly resulting in a kill.
Being a pure melee champion with no ranged abilities, Udyr relies on high movement speed, so he needs to stay mobile and resilient to be useful. Noteworthy, his build options are very flexible as long as they provide a little synergy with one of his stances.
- Unless he gets some tenacity, Udyr is very susceptible to crowd control, kiting and slowing effects since he has no gap closer with range.
- Pure health doesn't scale that strong with his Turtle Stance. It effectively relies on armor and magic resist to increase endurance even further. is usually enough and many other defensive items boost health as well.
- In need of armor, , or are all great choices.
- Combining and is a also great option to deal with attack speed reliant enemies.
- For magic resist, is a very good early option with useful stats for Udyr. It's up to the player which upgrade is more useful.
Udyr can build some offensive items as well. However, if you aren't that confident, always consider survivability over offensive items, as sometimes a wrong build order backfires quickly. Your choice between Tiger Stance and Phoenix Stance can also affect your build.
- In general, Udyr benefits greatly from Spellblade passive as his cooldowns are very low. An early is later upgraded to or .
- is expensive but a versatile choice as Udyr can make use of all attributes (especially the two passives and movement speed).
- is a cheaper alternative, allowing for more tankiness, cooldown reduction and a sufficient mana pool, all very useful. The passive grants a reliable AoE slow on-hit, allowing him to stick easier to targets.
- Tiger Stance offers good attack speed and synergizes strong with attack damage and armor penetration.
- or give immense attack damage, allowing for lethal burst damage combined with extra life steal.
- is a great option for sustained damage, topped with a useful active.
- is a powerful addition for the Tiger Stance bruiser path, since Turtle Stance can allow Udyr survive even at low health digits, granting a double shield against magic damage dealers. Additionally, at lower health Tiger Stance gets a huge power-spike provided by the bonus AD passive.
- Unusual but strong items for Udyr are and . Both come with a fair amount of armor penetration which increases the damage from Tiger Stance even further. The former also grants a useful active for certain situations and the ladder boasts an almost instant stacked 25% armor shred because both the triggering auto-attack and the physical bleeding damage over time apply it.
- Add a to this build path for impressive sustain.
- Phoenix Stance scales with attack speed, boosting third hit procs.
- is a practical item with stats which are generally useful for Udyr.
- grants very high attack speed and precious movement speed coupled with tenacity. Consider this item when you need these stats but chose over .
- provides Udyr cost-effective hybrid stats and is one of the few items containing ability power that synergizes well with him. It grants AD for Tiger Stance's damage as well as bonus AP for Turtle Stance's shield and Phoenix Stance, boosting the overall damage potential in one package.
- If facing mana pool troubles early, consider buying either a or , depending on offensive or defensive needs.
- A can be considered outside of the jungle as Udyr can easily stack it. When upgraded to at late game, the toggle effect allows Udyr to do extreme amounts of physical damage with each auto-attack.
- If Udyr can access Crest of the Ancient Golem in the early to mid-game, you don't need to build any mana regen items at all.
Udyr is a natural jungler - Turtle Stance allows him to gain his health back. Putting a skill point in it at level two after taking Phoenix Stance or Tiger Stance at level one ensures effective jungling. He can also solo Dragon very early in the game.
- Udyr has choices for jungling depending on whether which stance he relies to do damage, either his Tiger Stance or his Phoenix Stance or even both. Phoenix Stance currently clears the jungle more quickly than Tiger Stance due to the area of effect damage but Tiger Stance has higher burst for more quick single target damage which may be more useful than Phoenix Stance for ganks or dueling the enemy jungler and Tiger Stance scales favorably into the later aspects of the game with attack damage. Deciding on which stance to choose depends on Udyr's build and the player's personal preference.
- Be aware that Udyr is very mana dependent in the earlier aspects of the game because spamming his abilities with their high mana cost will easily drain his mana pool so be careful with how many times you activate his stances to clear a camp. He might need some mana regen like Crest of the Ancient Golem or at least s for a second jungle clear.
- Udyr can jungle with Phoenix Stance for more area of effect damage and a faster clear time. Phoenix Stance offers more starting item options than Tiger Stance.
- Udyr can also jungle with Tiger Stance for better single target damage.
Runes and Masteries
- Udyr is a pure melee champion with no gap closers, and is thus very vulnerable to being kited.
- Ranged champions have a better chance against Udyr due to his all melee skills.
- Picking up Tenacity items such as can reduce the stun duration from Bear Stance, and make him a less effective ganker.
- When laning against Udyr, it can be beneficial to bait him into switching stances to try and initiate, after which you quickly run away. This can easily drain his early game mana pool, forcing him to regain his lost mana by either going back to the fountain or use potions.
- This can prompt the enemy to focus on leveling up Turtle Stance, lowering Udyr's mid game damage and giving you the advantage in skirmishes.
- Udyr alternating Turtle Stance and Bear Stance is one of the harder champions in the game to chase down - and the stun of Bear Stance can easily make you regret chasing him if back-up arrives to aid him. Think very carefully about attempting to commit and kill him, and be very aware of the whereabouts of his teammates.
- Udyr is vulnerable if he is not attacking or is unable to attack, Renekton can easily counter Udyr on his Bear Stance because Renekton's stun lasts longer.
- Champions who can slow Udyr for an extended period of time (Some examples being Ashe, Nasus, and Kog'Maw) or can run faster than Udyr (champions like Hecarim and Rammus) will be able to gun down Udyr better and run away if necessary. Also Singed is a good counter pick for Udyr because Udyr has no major gap closers(Just make sure to buy movement speed items).