Hello, it's me, AlexHawks.
I'm going to talk about Challenging the Meta with unconventional picks for mid lane, particulary in this case, supports. Keep in mind that this will be only PART 1, since I can't write everything in one post that quick.
I guess it's rather obvious that some potentional supports ( Lux, Nidalee , Elise and even Annie) can go mid and perform very well. However though, practicly all supports can make an awesome performance at the MID lane.
I was presented to "Support in a mid" idea by a friend a year ago, and it took me a while to really get used to it. Supports in mid have their owns advantages and flaws, so lets get moved to it.
Nunu is quite well known mid laner to some people, but alot of people haven't discovered it yet. Nunu has consistent damage output thanks to his Ice Blast, which also slows, and makes a good synergy with his Blood Boil. It allows to catch up to opponents pretty quick, but keep in mind that Mid is a really short lane, and you can't expect long chases to happen there. Playing in Top lane, you need stillness, stability and consistency, while in Mid quick reaction and concentration on little things bring you to the victory. Keep in mind, that Nunu has a great passive for Mid lane, called Visionary. (After 5 autoattacks, Nunu's next spell will have no mana cost.) Which can allow you to have a sustained harrassment with his Ice Blast, and provide sustain in lane allowing him to use his Consume more oftenly. You should obviously be maxing Ice Blast first. People often undervalue Nunu's damage output, while they shouldn't. Why? Ice Blast has a 100% AP scaling, while his ultimate, Absolute Zero has 250% AP scaling. So, when you think that you can't kill the opponent, you most likely can.
Who is Nunu good against in the mid lane?
You should pick him against squishy short range champions, who don't have consistent sustain in lane, like Katarina or Evelynn. Thanks to the damage of his Ice Blast, you should easily be able to harass them and deny their CS.
'Who should you avoid while playing him Mid?'
Champions who can outrange/outharass you. You're going to have hard time against Lux, Karthus or Jayce. Also, you should play safely against champions who have stuns/silences or similar disables that can interrupt your ultimate. In example: Kassadin or Elise. However, later on, you might considering getting a later on, to prevent this.
'What should you buy as a Mid Nunu?'
- Nunu,' since it provides him alot of early power, and helps to regenerate his mana faster. Or 2 is always good on '
- Nunu, 'since his Ice Blast slows his opponent. Is also a great item for '
- Can be used to keep on chasing opponents more, or to lock them in his ultimate.
- Obviously, cause of his great AP scaling.
- Absolute Zero. To keep him more safe while channeling
- To increase the damage output even more.
My personal favorite support in the Mid lane, Soraka is a great Mid laner overall, since her passive, Consecration gives her additional Magic Resist. Whitout that, she also has her Starcall, which reduces opponent's Magic Resist every single time he gets hit by Starcall. Even though her Infuse can't be used to restore mana for herself anymore, it silences the opponent, which is really good at the Mid lane. To crown everything at the end, she has two really strong heals from her Astral Blessing and Wish. She is generaly squishy though, and has no escapes, so when playing Soraka Mid, you have to do two things at the same time, be aggressive, and play safe and the same time. A couple of wards can also help obviously. You should be maxing your Starcall first, while her second spell is rather situational, if you're doing very well, max Infuse, and if you're a bit behind, you should consider leveling up your Astral Blessing instead.
Who is Soraka good against in the mid lane?
'Who should you avoid while playing her Mid?'
AD casters like Zed or Kha'Zix should be a problem, 'cause your bonus magic resist won't help that much, and both of them have gapclosers. Keep in mind that with the recent buffs of , while fighting against this item, her power is greatly reduced.
'What should you buy as a Mid Soraka?'
- An early Starcall will help you to have more mana on lane, also, you will charge it up pretty quickly with your
- ( ) should be built from , it will help you with your mana, and provide you with an extra shield.
- Starcall's range. Is great on Soraka, since it will help you to keep opponents in your
- Will help you to reduce opponent's Magic Resist to minimum even faster.
Thresh Is an extremely good mid laner, since he's naturally tanky, and has quite nice ammount of magic damage. Damnation provides alot of extra AP (and armor) and makes his late game very strong. Death Sentence's (Later Flay's) passive alows him to constantly harrass his lane opponents, while making him able to lasthit more easily. His Flay can clear minion waves really quick, which makes him a great mid laner. He has a 100% AP scaling on his ultimate, The Box, which is great to improve your damage output. You should max your Flay first 'cause it provides alot of wave clearing potential, and Death Sentence's passive will be transfered to Flay. Death Sentence should be maxed second. Even when not dominating your lane, you can still farm thanks to your AA range, and you can collect the Souls from Damnation by throwing your Dark Passage. Also, your teammates can click on your Dark Passage to dash to you, so Mid lane ganks can become quite easy, if you do it properly.
Who is Thresh good against in the mid lane?
'Who should you avoid while playing him Mid?'
'What should you buy as a Mid Thresh?'
- Double (Yes, ) are great on thresh, it provides him more sustain in lane, and also increases his harrassing potential.
- Thresh , since his every damaging spell interrupts opponent's movement. Is great on
- Should also be bought, it gives you more spellvamp/lifesteal, while producing you with a slowing active.
- gives you alot of damage, and helps you to sustain against bursty mid champions.
- Is also quite good on Thresh, since you'll be getting even more AP from your passive.
- and are also quite good, but very situational, and if bought, should be bought together. (You won't need anymore)
Typical reaction when players play against perfectly executed support in a Mid lane.
(01:05)Opponent: WTF soraka mid? are you a troll lol?
(12:37)Opponent: omg this is so retarded, going to feed
(00:58)Opponent: soraka mid jajajaja idioto
(09:22)Opponent: per queeee? p*ta el madre!
(01:00)Opponent: □□□□□□ □□ □ □□□□□□□□□ □□□□□□ □□
(11:45)Opponent: □□□□□□□□ □□□□□□□□□□□□□□ □□ □□□□□□ □□□□□