While discussing "solutions" to Karma's Mantra problem — well, empowerment mechanics in general — I came up with a sort of momentum mechanic. The bare-bones of this system is that your abilities "unlock" during combat, rather than simply being available when off cooldown. This system allows for level-1 ultimate abilities that still feel like ultimate abilities, by contrast to Karma whose ultimate never really feels like an ultimate.
While this mechanic would not work for Karma, I still felt if was worth pursuing. If you're interested, the other mechanics discussed were: Rengar's Ferocity and Renekton's Fury, and the custom champions: Yaga's Blunder and Goshg's Depth Charges.
So I've just started playing World of Warcraft (sue me for being late on the bandwagon, it isn't really my genre) and I'm simply in love with the Monk's resource system.
- Innate: You gain 1% bonus attack speed for 20 points of bonus health. Additionally, every third basic attacks generate 1 Chi.
- Q - Uppercut - Basic Active: Your next attack deals bonus physical damage and generates 1 Chi. 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 / 2 second cooldown.
- W - Roll - Advanced Active: You tumble toward the cursor and gain a burst of movement speed. Costs 1 Chi. 4 second cooldown.
- E - Shockwave - Advanced Active: You knockback all enemies in a cone behind your target and briefly slow them. Costs 2 Chi. 4 second cooldown.
- R - Flurrying Strikes - Ultimate Active: You strike your target 1 + (2 * attack speed) (rounded) times over a 1 second period, becoming untargetable for the duration. Costs 5 Chi. 8 second cooldown.