- What is "Pyro's Item Overhaul"?
It's a set of custom patch notes that are meant to enhance and/or fix the problems with itemization in LoL. Previous episodes were a hit or miss, sometimes correctly predicting items implemented by Riot (, , ), sometimes being far off.
- What is the Scope of the Overhaul?
Pretty much everything. The idea is to increase diversity in item builds by introducing new items and rebalancing the current ones. Keep in mind while assessing this part of the project that more or less all item categories will be affected, so this is far from over.
TL;DR here would be to have more than top 3-5 champion picks for every role in LCS with cookie-cutter builds. Item builds should be more reactive, not predefined for a whole class of champions.
Premise of the Tank Project
Fixing up leftovers from the changes to resists made in preseason, plus redefining the tank item class. Basically: defensive items are a tiny bit cheaper, but less slot efficient - unless you invest into "heavy stuff" that makes your late game tank build feel better. This is similar to how Rabadon's Deathcap enhances your overall AP.
The guideline here is to provide different means to mitigate damage, not just balls of stats. Proactive tanking - not just through activated effects, but suiting the passive to match the threat. Something similar to the current Warden's Mail reducing AS-oriented damage - just expanded to few other options.
One significant change you need to keep in mind is that in this projectand penetrate 50% of bonus MR/armor, not 35% of total. This means they're more effective against heavy resistance stacking, but not as good against unarmored targets - so if the carry decides to shread through your durability, they have to give up some damage to your teammates. In a similar manner, and lose a bit of their absolute power and become more situational. Additionally, makes a comeback.
These are divided into three categories:
- CC reduction - opportunity to counteract stacking a specific type of CC (displacements, slows)
- Hybrid resistances - 2-step item line dedicated to balancing out laning against champions who deal hybrid damage, allowing to put them in a better place balance-wise
- CDR revamp - more related to the Support Project, but some of the or upgrades could be used by tanks as well.
Every category is exclusive, so if for example you don't believe a particular set doesn't need to exist, it doesn't affect the other ones. However, many of the changes to existing armor/MR items that I suggest assume that items such as Colossus Chestplate (more or less a tank Deathcap) exist.
Use tabs to navigate through this section's contents.
Items with less than 400 health will be covered in other sections or other parts of the itemization overhaul. Overall, most items that are oriented around their health threshold are rather unchanged.
Health is usually one of the two defining characteristics of the item. Their updated state and build is described in their respective section (armor / MR)
- +400 health (-100), +300 mana, +100% base health regeneration
- Unique Passive - Valor's Reward: On leveling up, restores 150 health and 200 mana over 8 seconds.
- Unique Active: Grants +60% Movement Speed to you and nearby allies when moving towards enemies or towers for 3 seconds. When this speed boost ends, it emits a shockwave, slowing nearby enemy champions by 80% for one second (60s cooldown).
- Cheaper by 400, health lower just by 100. Won't make you as beefy, but you'll be able to get your hands on the active earlier.
- +60 ability power, +400 health (-50), +400 mana (-50)
- Unique Passive – Valor's Reward: On leveling up, restores 150 health and 200 mana over 8 seconds.
- Unique Passive: This item gains 10 health, 10 mana and 2 ability power every minute, up to 10 times.
- A rebalance in stats granted by this item - cheaper, less a tank item, more a mage item now. Should remain viable on Maokai for example, just not as overwhelming.
- See: #Armor items
- , ,
- See: #Magic resistance items
New item in this category: Leviathan - see: #New items (CC reduction section)
These items are meant for tanks and durability is their primary attribute.
- +600 health (-100), +30 attack damage
- Unique Passive - Bash: +10 armor penetration (new, from the revamped Phage)
- Unique Passive - Icy: Your basic attacks apply a 20% slow and reduce the target's armor by 10 for 2 seconds.
- Active: Doubles the strength of this item's slow and armor penetration for 5 seconds. 60 second cooldown.
- Part of The Fighter Project, let's just ignore it for now. Subject to change.
- +600 health (+100), +100% base health regeneration (new), +10% cooldown reduction
- Unique Passive - Tenacity: +35 Tenacity
- Just a stat buff to make it comparable with other enchantments.
Big chunk of health. No resistances on the items past that line.
- +800 health (-50)
- Unique Passive: On champion kill or assist, restore 300 health over 5 seconds.
- The TT version - a little bit tweaked. I guess the big question would be - why not allow Warmog's there? Original reason for not allowing Warmog's on other maps was the stacking on creep kills. That passive was removed years ago.
The item's main strength is not the armor, but its utility.
- +40 ability power (+10), +500 mana, +50 armor (-10), +10% cooldown reduction
- Unique Passive – Icy/Spellblade: After using an ability, your next basic attack critically strikes and deals bonus magical damage equal to your crit modifier to surrounding enemies, creating a field for 2 seconds that slows enemies inside by 30% (2 second cooldown). (rebalanced)
- Unique Passive – Critical Strike Modifier: Your critical strikes deal magical damage equal to 100% of your armor.
- Only highest critical strike modifier counts.
- Details will be talked over in the Carry/Fighter Project - basically crit is no longer 200% AD damage, but 100% AD + crit damage modifier. The default CDM is 100% base AD (like the current Spellblade), but it can be replaced by a higher scaling modifier.
- Parallel to Sunfire Cape, it provides some tankiness-scaling AoE damage.
- +50 armor (-20), +400 health
- Unique Passive – Cold Steel: When hit by basic attacks, reduces the attacker's attack speed by 15%.
- Unique Passive - Shield Block: Blocks 5-45 damage from ranged basic attacks from champions depending on distance from the attacker (5 at 300 range, 45 at 700 range). (new)
- This item provides more protection against basic attacks when you have high armor rating from other items. Anyways, the armor+health+slow bundle made it a one-item wonder for bruisers. that became a little bit too overused. Now it's better against ranged champions, but significantly worse against melee ones.
- +400 health (-50), +50 armor (+5), +100% base health regeneration (new)
- Unique Passive - Point Runner: Grants + 30% bonus movement speed that build up over 2 seconds when near turrets or Void Gates. (new)
- Unique Passive: Deals (2% of your current health) magic damage per second to nearby enemies (400 range). (rebalanced)
- Sunfire gains some tank identity as well and should be noticeably worse on bruisers. You can build it for towerdiving, but it needs other tanky items to scale its damage. It also gives you a soft taunt - "hit me and i'll deal significantly less damage".
- Armor up to 50 from 45, just to match the pattern :P
- , ,
- See: #Hybrid resistance items
New items in this category: Blackfrost Helmet, Chillwind Crown - see: #New items (CDR revamp section)
No other resistances, just pure armor.
- +100 armor, +400 mana, +10% cooldown reduction (-10)
- Unique Passive - Cold Steel: Reduces the attack speed of nearby enemies by 15%. (700 range)
- Unique Active - Icy: Slows the movement speed of nearby enemy units by 40% for 2 (+1 second per 500 bonus mana) seconds. 60 second cooldown (700 Range). (new)
- Less CDR (part of the CDR revamp) but gets the Randuin active - however, without armor/MR scaling on the duration. The mana scaling is there to make use of things like Righteous Glory and Iceborn Gauntlet if you were to feel like you're wasting gold on too much flat mana.
- Unchanged (recipe slightly altered)
- Smoother build path.
Magic Resistance items
- Stats unchanged.
- A small change to Aegis recipe.
- +25 attack damage, +25 magic resistance (-5)
- Unique Passive – Lifeline: Upon taking magic damage that would reduce health below 30%, grants a shield that absorbs 250 magic damage for 5 seconds (90 second cooldown).
- This item received a slight buff to MR with price increase that wasn't really needed. The shield is strong enough already.
- +30 magic resistance (-5)
- Active – Quicksilver: Removes all debuffs from your champion. 90 second cooldown.
- As it is, QSS is too cheap for an item with as much MR and as powerful active. It became 300g cheaper while losing only 200g of stats. This slightly tunes down its sheer power.
30 Magic Resistance
The typical MR items, although the other stats are still significant.
- +80 ability power (+20), +30 magic resistance (+5), +50% base mana regeneration, +10% cooldown reduction (-10)
- Unique Passive - Mana Font: Restores 2% of missing mana every 5 seconds.
- Unique Passive: Restores 15% of your max mana on kill or assist.
- Grail loses 300g worth of CDR and gains 400g worth of AP - and is 100g cheaper. CDR is now found in other - new and old - items. Grail becomes centered around its AP, MR and mana regen.
- +50 attack damage (-10), +30 magic resistance (-10)
- Unique Passive: Grants +1 attack damage for every 1% of missing health, up to 70 Attack Damage. (buffed as hell)
- Unique Passive – Lifeline: Upon taking magic damage that would reduce health below 30%, grants a shield that absorbs 400 magic damage for 5 seconds (90 second cooldown).
- Part of the Fighter Project. A bit less raw AD and MR, and a TON of AD when you get low on health.
- +80 attack damage, +30 magic resistance (-5)
- Active – Quicksilver: Removes all debuffs from your champion and grants +50% movement speed for 1 second. 90 second cooldown.
- Not a part of the tank project directly, and possibly a subject to change.
- +50% attack speed, +30 magic resistance, +42 magic damage on hit
- Unique Passive: Basic attacks steal 5 magic resistance from the target (stacks up to 5 times).
- Active – Quicksilver: Removes all debuffs from your champion and grants +60 Tenacity for 3 seconds. 90 second cooldown.
- Old Wit's End is... old and busted. Behold the new awesomeness. in this project is an AS component with on-hit damage, building into Nashor's, Devourer and BotRK.
50 Magic Resistance
"Heavy MR" but with other stats (such as health) bundled in.
- +60 ability power (-10), +50 magic resistance
- Unique Passive: Reduces the magic resistance of nearby enemies by 25%. (700 range) (rebalanced)
- Redefined as a mage bruiser item, with less AP and more anti-MR approach (instead of squishy-stomping one). The debuff is weaker than the old one until about 90 MR (keep in mind flat reduction comes before % penetration)
- +200 health, +60 ability power, +30 magic resistance (+10), +10% cooldown reduction
- Aura - Legion: Grants nearby allies +20 magic resist and +75% base health regeneration.
- Active – Promote: Greatly increases the power of a lane minion and grants it immunity to magic damage. 120 second cooldown.
- Slightly buffing this as a late game item, enabling purchasing it on midlaners.
- +400 health (-50), +50 magic resistance (-5), +100% base health regeneration
- Unique Passive: Grants a spell shield that blocks the next enemy ability. This shield refreshes after no damage is taken from enemy champions for 30 seconds. (buffed)
- Unique Passive - Spectre's Regeneration: Grants 100% base health regeneration for 10 seconds after taking damage from an enemy champion. (new)
- -5 MR, -50 health, +100% regen in combat, -160 cost and CD on spellshield is down from 40 to 30. Overall part of the tank identity revamp, emphasizing the anti-poke element while slighlty worsening its one-item wonder status for carries.
- +400 health, +30 magic resistance, +10% cooldown reduction
- Aura - Legion: Grants nearby allies +20 magic resist and +75% base health regeneration.
- Active: Shield yourself and nearby allied champions for 5 seconds, absorbing up to 60 (+100% magic resistance) damage. 60 second cooldown. (600 range) (rebalance)
- Shield scales with MR instead of levels, making the item less of a must-have item in every situation, and more a specialized purchase.
- +50 magic resistance (+10), +100% base mana regeneration, +10% cooldown reduction
- Active – Quicksilver: Removes all debuffs from an allied champion (cannot be used on other champions while unable to use items). 180 second cooldown (90 when used on yourself).
- Without the heal, Mikael's should be a more situational and specialized purachase - and no longer a must-have on every support. If there's some hard CC, you can buy it - otherwise, other options are better.
- +300 health (-50), +300 mana (-50), +50 magic resistance
- Unique Passive – Valor's Reward: On leveling up, restores 150 health and 200 mana over 8 seconds. (new)
- Unique Passive: Reduces and stores 10% of the magic damage dealt to your champion (max 200 damage stored).
- Active: Deals 200 + (stored magic damage) magic damage to nearby enemy units. 90 second cooldown. (500 range)
- Item loses 50 health/50 mana and gains the Catalyst's Valor's Reward (otherwise it would be the only Catalyst upgrade losing it in the upgrade).
- +400 health, +50 magic resistance (-5), +100% base health regeneration, +10% cooldown reduction
- Unique Passive: Increases your self-healing, health regen, life steal and spell vamp by 20%.
- MR down by 5, cost down by 150. Part of the tank itemization revamp (Colossus, FoN).
70 Magic Resistance
Not necessarily cost-efficient, but strong against heavy AP teams.
- +70 magic resistance, +150% base health regeneration (+50)
- Unique Passive: Grants a shield that absorbs up to 30 + (10 per level) damage. This shield refreshes after no damage is taken from enemy champions for 9 seconds.
- Just a small regen buff. Item still remains Howling Abyss-only.
New item in this category: Force of Nature - see: #New items (CC reduction section)
Hybrid Resistance Items
Placed at 50 armor and 50 MR, these items belong to both groups at once.
- +40 ability power (-10), +50 armor, +50 magic resistance
- Unique Passive - Tenacity: +35 Tenacity
- Introduced to Summoner's Rift with 10 less AP, better build path and price lowered by 100. Followup to changes to Abyssal Sceepter - those two should make for a neat anti-mage mage bruiser build.
- +50 armor (+10), +50 magic resistance, +100% base health regeneration
- Unique Passive - Point Runner: Grants +30% bonus movement speed that builds up over 2 seconds while near turrets or Void Gates.
- Passive: Your Summoner spell Teleport can target Void Gates, spawning 5 Voidlings at once. (new)
- Active: Create a Void Gate at a target location. 120 second cooldown.
- Rounded up to 50 armor and slightly tweaked - basically, sacrificing your Teleport summoner spell all but guarantees a turret takedown.
New item in this category: Colossus Chestplate, Runic Vanguard - see: #New items (Hybrid resistance section)
Coming Up Next
- The Support Project, based more or less on feedback to this Boards post.
- The Carry Project, including but not limited to a complete Critical Strike rework.
- The Fighter Project, combining the tank project with the carry project.
Of course, I'm looking forward to any feedback from you guys, it's the only way to move the project forward :) Keep in mind this is the first iteration of the first part, so we still have a long way to go :)