For a while, I've been talking about melee carries returning, with mixed results.
So here is a champion who behaves mostly like a marksman with melee range, and slight increases in survivability and mobility to make due.
High damage with autoattacks much like a Marksman, but a mix of rather average tankiness and mobility rather than a lack in both; with abilities to defend themselves in clutch plays, achieve higher mobility and function with autoattack stats.
He is labeled as a Fighter-Assassin because these are the classes more fitting of melee damage dealers, and since he is more about damage over time than burst, he is classified as a Fighter first despite his resistance being rather low for the standard.
I'm still a bit hesitant about how much he should get a generic marksman skillset that seems to be one poke, one defensive ability (mobility or CC), another ability, and an ult with large global presence. This is a very present template with marksmen who have like three of the four at least;, , , much?).
This is the main problem, but this character skirts the lines. He has tools of a melee carry (props to User:Willbachbakal):
- Strong autoattack steroids:
- His passive and W both are glorified auto-attacks.
- Plus, his second-cast Q gives him a boosted auto-crit on his next auto-attack.
- W can stack with either passive or second-cast Q for more pain, almost to the point of giving him burst, alas.
- Strong ability scaling around auto-attack based stats:
- His second-cast Q even scales on 100% critical strike chance.
- The rest of his skills scale on AD, most often 100% except his W autoattack boost (50% bonus AD), and E's shield (10% AD).
- Top-tier mobility.
- Passive allows him to jump in on someone from a range just below a Marksman's.
- Q is a poke with 1000 range, with a second cast that also allows him to get in.
- Only his almost-global Q isn't an enemy-targeted dash, so he'll still have to be wary because he doesn't have real clutch escapes (who busts an ultimate to escape?), forcing a Flash pick. But everyone already picks Flash.
- Innate squishiness compensated by clutch defensive abilities:
- His health is low (even Jinx gets at his level by level 5 and surpasses him afterwards).
- He relies on his spell shield to gain resistances for 4 to 6 seconds.
Most standard marksmen tools are contained in his arsenal.
- A long-range poke scaling on AD: His Q has 1000 range, which is not that good, but still makes him a contender in poke wars.
- Damage over time: His auto-attack boosts can deal damage over time like his W, plus with the attack speed boost from his ult, he'll keep dealing continuous damage with autoattacks.
- Focus on basic attacks. His passive, second-cast Q and W work around basic attacks. Passive gives it a leap function and bonus damage, second-cast Q does a boosted auto-crit, and W is a roided-up autoattack.
- High scaling: Most of his skills scale on 100% AD or bonus AD. Plus his second-cast W deals increased critical strike damage.
Despite all of that, he can't be labeled as a Marksman because most of his damage, especially since it comes mostly from autoattacks, is done up-close.
Nevermind the name of the character or the abilities. It's the effects I'm trying to balance here.
MM, the Death Dealer is a custom champion design.
"5000 years ago, amidst the infinite desert, a great city was flourishing. However, even a flower amidst the desert has its shadow..."― Premise of the incoming piece of custom champion lore "Ancient Times"
- Willbachbakal, for helping me get a few unique stuff, namely that top sig thingy.
- GreenMoriyama, for the great stuff he makes, and his personality.
- Lesdin, for the astonishing visual work on his content and allowing me to read his code.
- Mineko, for being a helpful mod all around and helping me become a nicer wiki-something-guy.
- Keith, my brother I know under so many names, for hooking me into the game.
- Rito Gems, for this game, of course.
- Buff McStrongmuscles: An overpowered Marty Stu with a really bad lore.
- Sharl, the Revolutionist: My attempt at a champ that bypasses skill investments.
- New basic laner items: Junglers forced into ? Let's force laners into items too!!!!!1!!!1!!!ONE!!!!