Hey everybody! I've got another gameplay update for one of my older champions, Aldric! Considering one of his older abilities fights for thematic and gameplay space with , I decided to revamp him! As always, let me know what you think!
- AP Ratio removed
- Maximum health ratio removed
- 10% bonus health ratio added
- Aldric now only gains a shield if he successfully hit an ally
- NEW Passive: After using an ability, Aldric's next basic attack within 6 seconds deals 40/55/70/85/100 (+20% AP) bonus magic damage.
- Active damage reduced to 80/120/160/200/240 from 80/130/180/230/280.
- Now visually knocks enemies aside along with knocking back.
- Cooldown changed to 24/21/18/15/12 from 20/19/18/17/16
- Cost reduced to 60 at all levels from 60/65/70/75/80
- No longer a fixed dash; now dashes 100 units past the target
- Can now only target allied champions
- Now cleanses the target
- No longer grants Aldric armor or magic resist
- Cooldown reduced to 10 at all levels from 14/13/12/11/10
- Cost reduced to 60/65/70/75/80 from 65/70/75/80/85
- Passive from version 1.0: Allied champions with 800 units gain bonus 6/7/8/9/10% bonus movement speed while moving towards Aldric.
- Active autoattack modifier removed
- Damage reduced to 60/95/130/165/200 from 65/105/145/185/225
- AP ratio reduced to 40% from 60%
- Range increased to 1000 from 850
- AP ratio reduced to 60% from 70%
- No longer cleanses allies
Guardian's Seal: As a bread-and-butter ability for Aldric, it made little sense for Aldric to not be able to apply the shield to himself, so this change has been reverted to its state in 1.3. However, Protect does not proc Guardian's Seal, as it already provides tankiness. To not overshadow single shield passives, such as Vi's Blast Shield, the maximum health ratio has been reduced.
- Aldric can now apply the ability to himself again!
- Maximum health ratio reduced to 5% from 8%
Sacred Hammer: A 1100-unit knockback seemed too influential, so it now only briefly knocks back opponents hit.
- Knockback distance is no longer to the end of the skillshot; instead, enemies hit are now only "briefly" knocked back (~250 units)
Protect: In yet another iteration, Aldric now gains armor and magic resistance for dashing to an allied champion, and no longer refreshes Guardian's Seal for the target. This should separate this ability from Lee Sin's Safeguard and give him some tanking stats when he needs to block projectiles.
- Slight Remake: Aldric dashes a fixed, 800-unit distance through target ally. If the target is an allied champion, Aldric gains bonus armor and magic resistance for 3 seconds. For the duration, Aldric also gains the ability to intercept projectiles, with the exception of tower hits. Aldric is still damaged and affected by projectiles he intercepts, and cannot cast this ability on himself.
- Range, cooldown, and cost remain the same.
Rally: Because this ability passive is ripping off of Taric's Gemcraft, we've decided to revert to its state in 1.1, where it was only granted after using Rally. In addition, due to major burst potential, we scaled back both damage portions of Rally.
- Passive portion has been added to the active portion, an can only occur when the ability activates.
- Area Magic Damage reduced to 65/105/145/185/225 from 80/120/160/200/240
- Attack Magic Damage reduced to 40/60/80/100/120 from 40/65/90/115/140
Guardian's Seal: Considering the utility this passive brings to teammates, we decided that Aldric should no longer be able to apply this ability to himself. It also seems loaded to have a shield and an autoattack modifier (Rally's passive) after using an ability.
- This ability no longer affects Aldric himself.
Protect: Now that Aldric no longer recieves a shield from his passive, this ability can be altered to give him a stronger shield, one based on the target's missing health, to solidify his tanking ability. Aldric no longer cleanses his target (that's been moved back to his ultimate) because it is currently too strong on a basic ability. In addition, Aldric now dashes a fixed distance through his target, in order to enable his role as a projectile-blocker. Speaking of projectiles, Aldric can now only intercept them while his shield holds, allowing for some counterplay.
- Aldric now dashes a fixed, 800-unit distance through target ally. If the target is a champion, he gains a shield equal to 70/115/160/205/250 (+20% AP) (+20% of the target's missing health) for 5 seconds.
- The ability to block projectiles lasts while the shield holds
- Range increased to 700 from 650
- Cost changed to 60/65/70/75/80 from 70
- Cooldown reduced to 20/19/18/17/16 from 24/22/20/18/16
Holy Crusade: Though the AoE cleanse was removed initially, as there was no clear success case, we now believe that Aldric should be able to give up cleansing his allies in order to initiate. With that in mind, Holy Crusade can now cleanse again.
- Once again cleanses allied champions that he passes through
- Updated tooltips and ability details on all abilities.
Protect: The previous iteration is too conflicting in its mechanics, so it's being reworked again. Overall, this new Protect should allow Aldric to do what he does best: protect.
- Reworked: Aldric jumps to target ally. If the target is an allied champion, the target is cleansed of disables and debuffs. For 3 seconds after, Aldric intercepts all enemy projectiles, with the exception of tower hits, but still takes full damage from them. The cooldown between Guardian's Seal shields is refeshed for both Aldric and the target allied champion, reapplying the shield to both of them. Aldric can also cast this ability on himself.
- Ranged reduced to 650 from 750
- Cooldown increased to 24/22/20/18/16 from 14
- Mana Cost changed to 70 from 60/65/70/75/80
Guardian's Seal: In addition to the changes made in 1.1 to further showcase Aldric's role as a tank-support, Guardian's Seal additionally scales off of Aldric's maximum health. This should allow him to apply more impactful shields if he builds defensively.
- Now scales with 8% of Aldric maximum health.
Protect: The second iteration still seemed to provide too much tankiness at once. Now, the ability has been rework to cleanse allies of disables on cast. In addition, it allows allies to go on the aggressive after, making their basic attacks deal bonus magic damage.
- Reworked: Aldric tethers target ally for 5 seconds, cleansing them of disables and non-summoner spell debuffs on cast. While the tether persists, the target ally deals 20/25/30/35/40 (+20% AP) bonus magic damage with their basic attacks.
- Max leash range increased to 1200 from 1000.
- Cost reduced to 60/65/70/75/80 from 60/70/80/90/100
- No longer applies damage reduction to the leashed target.
- Aldric can no longer cast this ability on himself.
Rally: Limiting the passive portion to only one ability made it feel clunky, so it now occurs with every ability. This way, Aldric now has some reliable damage as a tank and can still hold his own without being completely defense-oriented.
- Passive now occurs with every ability activation.
Holy Crusade: As Protect now cleanses allies, this ability should no longer have such a luxury. In addition, having an AoE cleanse suggests that Aldric would have to initiate after the enemy team has, which means he would have to sacrifice either the cleanse or the initiation. Aldric is still cleansed by this ability, as he can no longer use Protect on himself.
- Mana cost reduced to 100 from 150
- No longer cleanses allies that Aldric passes through.
- Tooltip updated to specify that Aldric is CC-immune while dashing.
Guardian's Seal: These changes have been made to address edge cases where Aldric's shield was too strong and was applied to all allies at once. We decided to remove its ability to stack and has a reduced AP ratio, it reiterate his strengths as a tank.
- Shields no longer stack. Allies can only receive a shield every 10 seconds.
- AP ratio reduced to 0.2 from 0.4
Sacred Hammer: To again reiterate Aldric's role as a tank, the AP ratio has been reduced. His base damage remains unchanged to give him stable damage as a tank."
- AP ratio reduced to 0.5 from 0.7
Safeguard: Simply put, this ability was too overloaded, as it provided a heal, blocked basic attacks, and gave a shield from Guardian's Seal. It also prevented Aldric from using basic attacks, which is pretty huge for a tank. We've reworked it so that it provides percent damage reduction, but no longer heals, blocks basic attacks, or prevents Aldric from using basic attacks. Overall, this change should make the ability more versatile against both burst and DPS champions and less overloaded.
- Renamed to Protect
- Range reduced to 750 from 900
- Maximum tether range reduced to 1000 from 1500
- Mana cost reduced to 60/70/80/90/100 from 60/75/90/105/120
- No longer heals the target, block basic attacks, or prevents Aldric from using basic attacks
- Now provides 30/35/40/45/50% damage reduction from all non-turret sources for 2 seconds.
Inspire: Similar to Safeguard, Inspire was too overloaded, so we're altering some of it's damaging and utility capabilities. Firstly, there's a new passive, which grants Aldric's next basic attack after activating Inspire to deal bonus magic damage. The movement speed bonus has been added to the active portion, so it's no longer persistent and doesn't conflict with the Captain boot enchantment. To prevent too much tankiness, Inspire's active no longer provides armor and magic resist. With these changes in addition to the changes to Guardian's Seal, this should stabilize Inspire (now called Rally) as a "I'm coming to destroy you with my allies" sort of ability.
- Renamed to Rally
- Mana cost increased to 65/70/75/80/85 from 60/65/70/75/80
- Passive movement speed removed
- New Passive: Upon activating Rally, Aldric's next basic attack with 6 seconds deals 40/65/90/115/140 (30% AP) bonus magic damage.
- Active base damage reduced to 80/120/160/200/240 from 80/125/170/215/260
- Active now also grants Aldric and nearby allies 30/35/40/45/50% movement speed for 2 seconds.
- Active no longer provides armor and magic resistance
Sanctuary: As of now, Aldric has no sort of initiation, which is counter-productive for any sort of tank. In addition, the combination of damage, CC, and AoE damage immunity of Sanctuary was too much, even with the ability's high cooldown. As a result, this ability has been reworked into a line dash that drags enemies to his landing location while cleansing allies he passes over. Please let me know what you think!
- Renamed to Holy Crusade
- Reworked: Aldric dashes forward, cleansing himself of disables and non-summoner spell debuffs and dealing magic damage in a wide line. Aldric drags all enemy champions in the area with him to his landing location. All allies in the area of effect are also cleansed of disables and non-summoner spell debuffs.
- Range increased to 850 from 650
- Cooldown reduced to 120/110/100 from 150/135/120
- Base damage reduced to 150/250/350 from 200/300/400
- AP ratio reduced to 0.7 from 0.8
- Guardian’s Seal (Passive)
- Allied champions hit by Aldric’s abilities are given a shield that absorbs damage for a few seconds. Additional shields applied have reduced effectiveness.
- Sacred Hammer (Q)
- Aldric throws a magical hammer that deals damage and pushes foes to the hammer's max range, stunning them for the duration.
- Safeguard (W)
- Aldric heals a target allied champion over a few seconds, blocking any basic attacks targeted at them while disabling his basic attacks.
- Inspire (E)
- Aldric passively increases the movement speed of allies that walk toward him. The active portion deals magic damage in an area around Aldric and increases his armor and magic resistance, and granting half of the bonuses to nearby allies.
- Sanctuary (R)
- Aldric jumps to target enemy, creating a barrier that deals magic damage and knocks enemies back. For a short duration after, the barrier prevents all damage dealt to allies inside the area from sources outside the area.