|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Varus was designed by Meddler.
- Varus is voiced by Gavin Hammon, who also voices Pantheon and Blood Lord Vladimir.
- Varus is a medical term for inward joint deformity which may refer to his current "broken" state.
- Additionally, the curve caused by the deformity is similar to that of a bow; hence the term "bowleggedness".
- Varus's Piercing Arrow is a rework of Tristana's old Draw a Bead ability which (while active) would reduce her movement speed to increase range.
- The League of Legends art team worked with Gabe and Tycho from Penny Arcade to make a "special edition" champion sneak peek for Varus.
- Varus was the first champion to be released in Season Two with only one alternative skin, with subsequent champions following this pattern.
- The Pit of Pallas is a reference to , a giant associated with war in Greek mythology. He was killed by in a battle with the gods.
- Varus is, along with Caitlyn, Lissandra, Rumble, Vi, Xerath, and Ziggs, one of the few champions that can CC themselves.
- When Varus crits, his bow expands.
- Varus' body style is similar to the one of Solus, the T'Lan leader from the game Breakdown.
- Varus' lore and namesake could be a slightly inverse reference to the infamous Roman general , who foolishly led three Roman legions to their demise during the Battle of Teutoburg Forest. However, the Roman Varus commits suicide before he could be captured by the defending (albeit ambushing) Teutons, while the Varus of League's lore defends his charge but loses everything to the Noxian invaders, to which he vows revenge.
- Varus is right eye dominant. Since archers traditionally wield their bow according to their eye-dominance rather than their hand-dominance.
- Varus is the only champion since Graves to receive a League Judgement.
- Varus is the first of the three dark-themed Ionian Champion, the other two being Syndra and Zed. He shares a light themed skin with Syndra.
- Varus' quote, "I do what I must." is similar to Lee Sin's quote, "We do what we must ".
- Varus' quote "Beware a man with nothing to lose" is based on an Italian proverb "Beware of one who has nothing to lose."
- Varus's quote. "No turning back." is similar to Pulsefire Ezreal's quote, "No turning back now." and Irelia's quote, "There's no turning back."
- He wields his bow with his left hand, despite the splash art suggesting he aims the bow with his right hand. Even if he was ambidextrous, archers traditionally wield their bow according to eye-dominance rather than hand-dominance.
- He might be a reference to the MMORPG , where the undead would use Blight Crystals alike to the ones on the art to corrupt other creatures.
- Varus's quote, "I am Forsaken." is also spoken by the undead from the same MMORPG.
- It is the second light-themed skin for dark Ionian Champions, the first being Justicar Syndra.
- It has been stated that Arclight Varus is how Varus looked after he used the power of the corruption, but "before the darkness consumed him".
- He uses the same voicing, but lacks the echo effect on each line.
- Varus's bow in this skin is similar to the Bow of Light from the Legend of Zelda game series.
- He has a similar design to soldiers in the Battlefield series of video games.
- He shares this theme with Kennen.
- In the new League of Legends website, Riven's listed as Varus' rival. This suggests that she was directly involved in the assault of Varus' village during Noxus' invasion of Ionia.