|"Listen close- urgh, I have important- urgh! This is why I can't take you nice places!"
In V4.20, the base statistics of all champions changed. Please be wary that the information displayed below may be out-dated.
|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
- Varus was designed by Meddler.
- Varus is voiced by Gavin Hammon, who also voices Pantheon and Blood Lord Vladimir.
- Varus is a medical term for inward joint deformity which may refer to his current "broken" state.
- Additionally, the curve caused by the deformity is similar to that of a bow; hence the term "bowleggedness".
- Humorously, the way his name is the term for a knee deformity and the fact that Varus is an archer could be a reference to the famous "Arrow to the Knee" meme of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Varus's Piercing Arrow is a rework of Tristana's old Draw a Bead ability which (while active) would reduce her movement speed to increase range.
- The League of Legends art team worked with Gabe and Tycho from Penny Arcade to make a "special edition" champion sneak peek for Varus.
- Varus was the first champion to be released in Season Two with only one alternative skin, with subsequent champions following this pattern.
- The Pit of Pallas is a reference to , a giant associated with war in Greek mythology. He was killed by in a battle with the gods.
- Varus is, along with Caitlyn, Lissandra, Rumble, Sion, Vi, Xerath, and Ziggs, one of the few champions that can CC themselves.
- When Varus crits, his bow expands.
- Varus' body style is similar to the one of Solus, the T'Lan leader from the game Breakdown.
- Varus' lore and namesake could be a slightly inverse reference to the infamous Roman general , who foolishly led three Roman legions to their demise during the Battle of Teutoburg Forest. However, the Roman Varus commits suicide before he could be captured by the defending (albeit ambushing) Teutons, while the Varus of League's lore defends his charge but loses everything to the Noxian invaders, to which he vows revenge.
- Varus is the only champion since Graves to receive a League Judgement.
- Varus is the first of three dark-themed Ionian Champion, the second being Syndra and the third being Zed.
- Varus is in a state of transformation. He made a decision to sacrifice his humanity (in fact his very self) to gain the means to achieve revenge. The pants are the manifestation of the corruption overtaking him. He only has so much time before it will overtake him. 
- Riot wanted to deliver some of the creepy, fluid feeling of the corruption, it was important to give Varus a forceful, solid, strong weapon that you could identify him with instead of feeling like (as you do for instance with the T1000 from Terminator 2) the bow was just one piece of a big bag of tricks. Also, the visual impact of his animations with a sturdy bow was extremely satisfying. 
- As far as his paleness goes, they wanted to give him the appearance of a man whose life is slipping away or being drained. As far as his face, you could find people with many different appearances in all the respective regions of Valoran. 
- The Owl insignia on his chest has been passed down through generations of "watchers". 
- "Watchers" is most likely only a term used for the people that guard the Pit of Pallas, and would not be related to the Frozen Watchers.
- His lore bares some similarities with the blighted Archers from .
- The Talisman he has on his chest is a memento from his family.
- His headdress is an ornament of his office.
- Varus would be considered Lawful-Neutral. Or Lawful-Anti-Noxian-Invader. 
- Varus is implied to be ambidextrous, as evidenced by having two skin arts that have him holding his bow in his left hand and the other two having it in his right.
- However, Varus is most likely left eye dominant, since archers traditionally wield their bow according to their eye-dominance rather than their hand-dominance, due to the fact that he only holds his bow in his left hand in-game.
- Varus is one of three dark themed champions with a light themed skin, the second being Syndra and the third being Aatrox.
- Of these three, Varus' skin is the only one not of the Justicar theme.
- Varus' quote, "I do what I must." is similar to Lee Sin's quote, "We do what we must ".
- Varus' quote "Beware a man with nothing to lose" is based on an Italian proverb "Beware of one who has nothing to lose."
- Varus's quote. "No turning back." is similar to Pulsefire Ezreal's quote, "No turning back now." and Irelia's quote, "There's no turning back."
- He wields his bow with his left hand, despite the splash art suggesting he aims the bow with his right hand. Even if he was ambidextrous, archers traditionally wield their bow according to eye-dominance rather than hand-dominance.
- His look and ability animations were inspired by the anime movie, .
- He might be a reference to the MMORPG , where the undead would use Blight Crystals alike to the ones on the art to corrupt other creatures.
- Varus's quote, "I am Forsaken." is also spoken by the undead from the same MMORPG.
- It is the second light-themed skin for dark Ionian Champions, the first being Justicar Syndra.
- It has been stated that Arclight Varus is how Varus looked after he used the power of the corruption, but "before the darkness consumed him".
- He uses the same voicing, but lacks the echo effect on each line.
- Varus's bow in this skin is similar to the Bow of Light from the Legend of Zelda game series.
- He has a similar design to soldiers in the Battlefield series of video games.
- He shares this theme with Kennen.
- He holds Noxus as a nation responsible for their might-makes-right conqueror mentality. To that end.
- He has a strong distaste for all Noxians. He specifically hates anyone involved with the invasion though, people like Singed and Warwick, who (though they are Zaunite) played some of the most horrific roles in the invasion.
- Riven's listed as Varus' rival. This suggests that she was directly involved in the assault of Varus' village during Noxus' invasion of Ionia.