Skill usage Edit
- Level Transfusion to level 5, as it is Vladimir's most constant single target damage ability, as well as his heal. Remember that the base healing component is a flat amount modified by additional ability power, so even if the target is not damaged (i.e. shielded, blocked by , or blocked by Kayle's Intervention), you will still be healed by the ability.
- Having at least 1 rank of Sanguine Pool can help you survive for much longer, as it resets aggro. A skilled player can use it to turret dive or to dodge abilities. However, it has a long cooldown and a short duration, so do not become too reliant on it for escapes.
- It is wise to use Sanguine Pool to chase down an enemy or escaping from one. Using it as a damage skill could leave you extremely vulnerable if you can't kill the enemy.
- Sanguine Pool is excellent during teamfights if you're waiting for cooldowns and don't have .
- While Vladimir cannot use any abillities during Sanguine Pool, if Ghost is used before using Sanguine Pool, Vladimir will still receive the movement speed bonus making it a very viable escape maneuver. Conversely, if Vlad is slowed before going into pool, he will still be slowed during the pool.
- During Sanguine Pool he becomes untargetable to both enemy and allied champions.
- Using Sanguine Pool at the right moment can dodge projectiles like Enchanted Crystal Arrow, Trueshot Barrage, Requiem, Absolute Zero, Monsoon, Death Lotus, Time Bomb, Dark Matter, Explosive Cask and Ace in the Hole (and will also break the lock-on).
- Tides of Blood can be cast without having any enemy targets nearby. This can allow you to keep the buff constantly active or build stacks to prepare for an attack. It can also increase the effectiveness of a if used prior to activating it. Additionally, using it when a stealthed enemy is nearby will allow you to detect them, they will not destealth, but you will be able to see the missiles flying into their direction. This also works if an enemy is concealed in brush nearby.
- Gaining stacks of Tides of Blood prior to a gank can result in devastatingly high nuking ability upon multiple enemies. For the same reason, Vladimir's damage output rises dramatically after about 10 seconds during team fights as his stacks increase very quickly, which can result in massive AoE damage when combined with Hemoplague.
- Hemoplague causes targets to take bonus damage, so it is advised to use it at the beginning of team fights to increase the overall damage your team can inflict upon your enemies. Mid to late game, will negate both the increased damage debuff and the 5 second delayed damage component, make sure to spend as many of the opposing team's charges prior to activating.
- Hemoplague can be used to finish off a target low on health. The range to the edge of the AoE is deceptively long; keep this in mind when deciding whether to pursue a target near death.
- When using Hemoplague, be wary of champions who can counter the delayed damage, such as those with shields or heals. Do not depend on it to ensure your kill.
- Casting Hemoplague will not deal any immediate damage, and therefore can be used to kill low health enemies under their turret.
- Casting Hemoplague on Shaco's or LeBlanc's clones will not affect them, so it shows clearly which twin is real.
Build usage Edit
- is a core item on Vladimir due to the Spell Vamp component. Since Transfusion has such a low cool down at later ranks, Vladimir can sustain himself fairly well with just . It can be upgraded into or ; the choice depends on the role Vladimir will play.
- Since Crimson Pact provides bonus Health and AP, items like and provide both massive defensive bonuses and amazing offensive power on Vladimir. Together they provide 728 HP and 163 AP, slow components, and magic resistance reduction aura that benefits the team.
- can be used instead of when focusing on killing a target quickly and magic resistance is not necessary.
- Both and are good choices for Vladimir.
- It's generally advised to get because Vladimir greatly benefits from CDR and has very limited options of CDR items as a manaless AP caster.
- is one of the most popular items on Mages. However, because of Vladimir's Crimson Pact, it also grants 210 health and the 30% bonus AP gained interacts with his passive, making it even more cost effective and powerful.
- can make Vladimir a very powerful assasin in combination with Hemoplague. Since the debuffs stack additively, the afflicted enemy will receive 32% increased magic damage. It is suggested, however, to wait at least 1 second after applying Hemoplague because the magic damage delay lasts 5 seconds, whereas 's debuff only lasts 4 seconds.
- is an extremely powerful item on Vlad, increasing all of the aforementioned healing by 20%, giving him 10 AP due to his passive and giving a lot of the prized CDR that Vlad needs.
- While in Sanguine Pool Vladimir is not affected by any auras, including auras from items but will be affected by if he is the carrier. While no ally or enemy aura will affect him, Vladimir can still take damage from DoT spells like Fiddlesticks's Drain and Swain's Torment, and due to the heavy cost of Sanguine Pool, using it to "escape" such spells can actually harm badly.
- is best bought early game as it provides you with 15 magic penetration, 30 ability power, and 235 health thanks to his passive. This can be upgraded later into giving 57 ability power and 370 health instead of 50 ability power and 300 health.
- is a great item for most casters, but Vladimir will benefit even more from it due to his lack of CC and range as well as his passive: it will grant 612 health / 92.5 AP beyond the base 500 health / 80 AP. Additionally, the passive gives his spells constant slows.
- is a good potential 5th or 6th item on a tanky build, as you will generally have a lot of health but lack resistances, and its passive will be affected by your Tides of Blood stacks. With full stacks at max rank, you will gain 39.6% of your maximum health upon reviving instead of 30% (or 47.5% with full stacks plus ).
- A powerful defensive item is , as it provides 168 bonus HP along with the 120 AP and 50 armor.
- 100 gold invested in ability power will grant you health worth about 17 gold. 100 gold invested in health will grant you ability power worth about 20.6 gold.
Recommended builds Edit
|The Howling Abyss|
|The Crystal Scar|
|The Twisted Treeline|
- To zone him out of experience range you can use Ignite, or when he has a high amount of stacks on Tides of Blood as it is almost always a sign he is trying to restore his health with Transfusion.
- Early game, stay just out of range of his Transfusion. If he uses it on a minion run forward to harass before his Transfusion cools down.
- Vladimir lacks any hard crowd control to interrupt channeled abilities, but watch out as his Sanguine Pool allows him to avoid abilites that have effects while channeling (like Death Lotus) or he can time it to avoid channels that have an effect at the end (like Absolute Zero)
- Vladimir is one of the most powerful champions at late game, as he becomes virtually unkillable, with overwhelming damage and can wreck past an AP mage's normal counters, fighters , if he is able to reach this point defeating him proves extremely difficult.
- However his late game dominance has a cost, an awful laning phase, with Transfusion having a long cooldown, low damage and healing until rank 3-4, step in to harrass right after he uses the skill to farm, his only counter-harrass will be Tides of Blood which doesn't deal much damage if not stacked and damages him
- Vladimir lane weakness declines by the time he gets his as he will be able to heal every attack launched against him, if he is not able to farm properly this item will become delayed and he will remain weak for teamfights
- Focusing Vladimir in a teamfight is not a very good idea - he is very tanky due to his passive, he can restore his health quickly and lose all focus with Sanguine Pool.
- Trying to kill him takes a long time if he is properly positioned and can distract your team from other key enemy targets such as the ADC and assassins.
- If you fail to kill Vladimir late game and he escapes he will be able to fully restore his health with minions and jungle monsters without going to back to base.
- Do not underestimate Tides of Blood late game, especially if fully stacked. Average late game Vladimir can dish out from 450 - 540 damage, pre mitigation, from Tides of Blood to all surrounding enemies. With some cool down reduction, he can spam this spell continously and easily wreak havoc if left unchecked.
- Try to harass Vladimir into using his Sanguine Pool early in a fight so he takes more damage from it and cannot use it to escape focus fire. Vladimir will use 20% of his current health whenever he uses Sanguine Pool, so if you force him to use it, you've effectively won the trade.
- Even if Vladimir uses Sanguine Pool he still takes damage from DoT spells such as Ignite, Blaze, Malefic Visions, Noxious Trap and Blessing of the Lizard Elder.
- Remember that Transfusion doesn't heal Vlad until the particle returns to him, and because the animation is two-staged (impalement, then return), most single-target projectiles like Two-Shiv Poison, Vorpal Blade, and Null Sphere will generally hit him before he's healed. This is useful to remember should you be uncertain about last-hitting him.
- You can use to remove Hemoplague (which is usually paired with Ignite) if he uses it on you. So buying it against Vladimir is a good and rather cheap counter.
- Due to his passive, he gains health as his spells grow more powerful, however this leaves him vulnerable to health percentage damage items and abilities (e.g Null Zone and ).
Champion spotlight EditVladimir Champion Spotlight(04:58)