- Volibear was the first champion released in Season Two.
- He was named after Travis 'Volibar' George.
- Volibear might have been inspired by the Panserbjørne (Danish/Norwegian: 'armored bears') from by .
- Volibear's dance references Sam B in
- A side-by-side comparison can be seen here.
- In Volibear's 'Champion Spotlight' his skin names were on the opposite one ('Thunder Lord' was on 'Northern Storm' and vice versa)
- Rolling Thunder might be referencing the eponymous piece by and/or from the .
- Volibear is the result of the game's forums' ongoing joke regarding armored bears.
- If Volibear and Zilean find themselves on opposing teams they will respectively gain the cosmetic buffs 'Chronokeeper Hater' ("Not even Zilean could keep an armored bear out of the League of Legends") and 'Armored Bear Hater' ("In my day, we would never have allowed an armored bear into the League of Legends")
- Volibear is the first champion to have lines when killing an enemy champion ("Your time has run out, Chronokeeper" and "I got a special claw for you, Zilean")
- "A fool and his head are easily parted" might be referencing A fool and his head are soon parted and/or "A fool and his money are easily parted".
- He references from by .
- He might be referencing the .
- He is dressed in Ursine ceremonial armor to fight the Frozen Watchers.
- Captain Volibear [ |
- He is a member of the Piltover Police Force.
- He shares this theme with Officer Caitlyn [ | , Constable Trundle [ | , and Officer Vi [ | .
- El Rayo Volibear [ |
- He references .
- He shares this theme with El Tigre Braum [ | , El León Gnar [ | , and El Macho Mundo [ | .
- El Tigre can be seen in the background.
- Volibear and the Ursine are allied with Sejuani and the Winter's Claw to battle Lissandra, the Frostguard, and the returning Frozen Watchers.
- While the reasons Volibear and Zilean dislike each other are unclear, it can be assumed it has to do with the Chronokeeper being annoyed at the Thunder's Roar being convinced the timeline can be altered in any meaningful way.