"A snake without its fangs is like a man at wit's end."
+50% attack speed|
+30 magic resistance
Unique: Basic attacks deal 42 bonus magic damage on-hit.Unique: Basic attacks increase your magic resistance by 5 for 5 seconds and reduce the target's magic resistance by 5 on-hit (stacks up to 5 times).
Attack > Attack Speed|
Defense > Magic Resist
|Item cost||2600g (550g)|
- Without considering its magic resistance reduction, is gold efficient at no stacks, and gold efficient at full stacks.
- It is an exceptionally helpful item on physical damage dealers when fighting against champions with low magic resistance (ie - ranged champions, which don't receive MR per level, and will have the flat 30 MR without runes / items / masteries).
- It's also highly useful on frequent auto-attackers against champions with high magic damage, since at max stacks it gives as much magic resistance as items such as the while not sacrificing a slot purely for a defensive item. Bear in mind, though, that this will be less effective against burst casters who can execute their combos before you can achieve max stacks through auto attacks.
- It's also a great item on tanks that rely on attackspeed or have on-hit effects, as it greatly bolsters their magic resistance, and the time it takes to steal it, doesn't matter as much, due to them being tanky anyway. Tanks that work well with this include Volibear and Shen.
- On auto-attack reliant champions without AD scaling or crit, (e.g. Volibear or Udyr's Phoenix Stance) the 42 on-hit damage can be thought of as AD, resulting in 42 × 36 = 1512 value worth of "AD".
- On auto-attack reliant champions that deal predominately magic damage (e.g. Warwick or DPS Teemo) the magic resistance reduction can be thought of as magic penetration, resulting in 171.65 value worth of penetration per stack, maxing at 858.25 value worth of penetration at 5 stacks.
- magic resistance that reduces the incoming magic damage from 's passive. also increases the user's magic resistance per auto-attack and reduces the enemy's magic resistance, thus allowing the user to deal more damage with on-hit passive than what can reflect back. is a strong counter to , as it not only provides the user an on-hit effect with their auto-attacks that ignores 's passive, but it also provide
- Wit's End's stacks affect two things – increasing your MR and decreasing the target MR. These stacks apply independent of individual targets - you can attack one target, then attack a different one, and still have 10 bonus MR - but the MR decreasing only applies to one target at a time, which resets in stack amount whenever a new target is attacked. is an exception to this, in both primary and secondary targets - switching from target 1 to target 2 and back, as long as both are either directly or indirectly attacked, will continue to suffer MR reductions.
- additional on-hit damage does not affect structures.
- Considering the item's name, the 42 magic damage on-hit (and the previous 42% attack speed bonus) is probably is a reference to where 42 is the number that signifies "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything".