|Champion||Background||Strategy||Skins & Trivia|
Powerful beyond reckoning, the ascended being known as Xerath was once a mortal of flesh and blood. He is now something vastly different - a being of writhing arcane energy. Having emerged from millennia-spanning imprisonment, he is now ready to unleash his power upon Runeterra, and utterly destroy any who oppose him.
Fall of the Empire
Azir’s hubris proved disastrous. As the Sun Disc focused the dawn rays into a transformative beam, Xerath betrayed Azir, shoving his emperor aside and stealing its power for himself.
In an instant, Azir was obliterated – and Xerath remade as a spectral being of pure, malevolent energy – as the city around them was swallowed whole by the desert.
Nasus and Renekton, Ascended heroes of Shuriman legend, sensed in an instant that something had gone terribly wrong and rushed to the Sun Disc. They hurled Xerath into a chained sarcophagus – but the magus shattered it into shards.
Renekton dragged Xerath into the Tomb of the Emperors and shouted to Nasus to seal the door. With a heavy heart, Nasus entombed his brother with a madman in the buried ruins for all eternity. Or so he believed…
Descent Into The Tomb
- Narrated by Nasus,
"The tragic fall of Shurima was nothing comparing to the tragedy of its rise from the grave.
In a market at the edge of a desert. A stranger appears. Cassiopeia, a noblewoman from Noxus looking to hire a guide to take her to the fabled lost city. But not just any guide, she hires a owner of a legendary blade, the mercenary called Sivir. Sivir gathers her band of sell-swords and set out in to the desert to find the very bones of Shurima.
Five days beneath the broiling sun a scout spots towers juddering upwards and a stairway leading underground. They climb down, into the darkness.
Ancient treasures gleam in the torch-light, even Sivir is astonished of the grandeur of the ruins. Her men head deeper in only to stumble into traps and be eviscerated. Sivir is stunned with horror, but Cassiopeia does not flinch. She sees only the statue of a huge serpent silently guarding the door to the tomb of the Emperors and smiles.
The ancient weapon is a key. Cassiopeia betrays Sivir. She picks up Sivir's blade, puts it into the lock. The guardians curse is triggered. The stone serpent comes alive. It pins Cassiopeia in its jaws - the venom sears her flesh like acid.
Sivir drags herself away, life blood flooding from her wound and then succumbs to darkness..."
In the ancient civilization of Shurima, the mage called Xerath practiced magic with undying passion. He believed that with enough magical power, he could gaze into the heart of Runeterra to know the secrets of history and the universe beyond. Such magic was beyond the limitations of a mortal body, but Xerath obsessively pursued a path to infinite power nonetheless. With every breakthrough he grew more and more powerful, yet not without consequence. Xerath's increasing arcane abilities wrought havoc on his physical form. Desperate, he undertook a dangerous ritual to transcend his dying body. The outcome would be immortality or self-destruction. Violent magic unleashed during the ritual caused devastation throughout Shurima, but when the dust settled, Xerath emerged as an ascended being of pure arcane energy.
Free of flesh and bone, Xerath held nearly infinite power at his command. However, in the wake of his chaotic ritual, the mages of Shurima feared his careless disregard for life would bring ruin to the kingdom. After a terrible struggle they subdued Xerath, but they could not destroy his ascended form. Instead they trapped him within an enchanted sarcophagus and sealed him in an underground tomb. Eons passed, civilizations rose and fell, and Xerath's imprisonment was lost to memory. For centuries, Xerath's vast power tore away at the sarcophagus and weakened its spell. Finally, he willed forth a burst of magic that shattered his prison, but its core remained, containing Xerath and his power within its broken pieces. Seeking to rid himself of this burden, he was drawn to the magic of Valoran's nexuses and found he could absorb their power. Yet the nexuses had gatekeepers: petty mages known as summoners. Xerath knew his key to true freedom from his prison lay in gaining their trust, and he offered his power to the League of Legends.
"I have no need for vengeance. Time has brought ruin to the mages of Shurima and I alone remain."― Xerath, the Magus Ascendant
- Champion selection
- "I will be free."
- "Simple fools."
- "Behold my power."
- "Primitive magic shall not best me."
- "Magic? I'll show you real magic."
- "Flesh and blood; so fragile."
- "Sacrifices must be made."
- "I will unmake you."
- "Your demise beckons."
- "I will show you true power."
- "None will control me."
- "These chains cannot hold me."
- "I am eternal."
- "I will be their undoing."
- "The secrets of magic are mine alone."
- "I follow the path to power."
- "The affairs of mortals are beneath me."
- "The world may crumble, but I shall remain."
- "Emotions are only distractions."
- "Bound, but not broken."
- "I see the forces that hold the universe together."
- "I am the will of man unbound by flesh."
- "I stand at the brink of infinity."
- "You cannot fathom what I am."
- "It will take only a spark of my magic to end you."
- "You may stare, but your mind may collapse."
- Taunting an enemy Azir
- "Azir, at long last, we will see what power you truly possess."
- "You are emperor of a wasteland, Azir."
- "Azir, the boy destined to chase the sun."
- "This time, Azir, I will need no surprise to topple you."
- Taunting an enemy Nasus
- "Nasus, the loyal pup, ever nipping at my heels."
- "Nasus... thank you for your brother."
- Taunting an enemy Syndra
- "You chase power, Syndra. I am power!"
- Taunting an enemy Thresh
- "Those chains cannot hold me either, jailer."
- "Power, immortality, omniscience... but no leg room?!"
- "Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!"
- Xerath laughs.
- Xerath laughs.
- Xerath laughs.
- Xerath laughs.
- Upon beginning a game of Ascension
- "You shall bear witness to the only true ascended this day."
- "Mine is the only pure ascension."
- "Today, I will be free!"
- Upon becoming ascended
- "Ah! The energy courses through me!"
- "Finally, I will show you what an ascended can do!"
- "The ascension belongs to me!"
- "The world forgot me. Now, they will remember!"
- When a nearby ally becomes ascended
- "We have the power! Now, strangle them with it!"
- "It is our turn to punish the arrogant!"
- When a nearby Renekton becomes ascended
- "It is our time, crocodile, make them suffer."
- "Renekton, show them your hatred!"
- Killing an enemy while ascended
- "No-one will wrest ascension from me!"
- "I was meant for ascension! See how I wield it!"
- Upon winning a game of Ascension
- "Behold! My power is unmatched!"
- "I will allow nothing to stand in my way!"
- "Ascension never looked so good!"
- "What a glorious being of pure energy!"
Co-op vs. AI Responses
- "Observe power in its purest form!"
Player team victory
Player team defeat
- "Your power is... formidable..."
Ancient Ascendant Xerath Quotes
These responses are exclusive to the non-playable Xerath that resides in the Ascension Featured Gameplay Mode.
- "True ascension is granted only to the worthy."
- "Who believes they have the strength to ascend?"
- "I am power incarnate! Who dares oppose me?"
- "Ascension is not granted, it is taken!"
- "Only ten of you? How disappointing."
- "My will is law!"
- "I will not be subverted!"
- "You stand in the presence of a perfect being."
- "I will never concede the power I have taken!"
- "You seek ascension. You will find failure."
- When ten champions dance nearby
- "I've waited a millennium for this!"
- "Trapped for centuries, but I've still got it!"
- "It's electric!" (raps)
- "With ascension... comes killer moves!"
- "Nobody puts Xerath in a sarcophagus! Nobody!"
- Xerath was designed by Volty.
Xerath's image and release date were leaked from the November 2011 issue of PC Gamer."This caster champ, a being of pure energy, perfectly captures the feeling of uncontrollable power. He charges up energy with each spellcast, temporarily increasing the damage and cost of subsequent spells. Playing him will be a tricky balancing act between knowing when to open the floodgates and pour out your damage, and when you're better off taking the slow-and-steady route."
Champion Sneak PeekAnnouncement made in the Sneak Peek by Average Gatsby:
At Riot Games a big part of our corporate culture is breaking down barriers through innovation. And, while we're on the subject, this seems like as good a time as any to introduce our latest champion. Meet Xerath, the Magus Ascendant. Previously one of the most powerful mages in Valoran, Xerath's learned the hard way just what sort of trouble accepting constraints – in this case a gigantic, enchanted sarcophagus – can get you into.
Of course, even a chained Magus Ascendant is somebody you want to avoid underestimating.
Xerath Mechanics Preview
Announcement made in the Mechanics Preview by Morello:
Xerath, the Magus Ascendant, is our newest mage-type character in League of Legends. His playstyle offers a new way to perform the mage-carry role; long range barrages and sieging.
The cornerstone of this is in his ability Locus of Power. This makes Xerath immobile, but gives his spells massively increased range and defense penetration. This really allows him to set up and barrage an area before becoming mobile again to perform a more standard mage role.
Using this range gameplay, Xerath has wide-area spells he can use to really saturate an area with major damage. Arcanopulse, his bread-and-butter ability, shoots a short-delay beam at the area, zapping anyone hit for significant damage. Arcane Barrage, his ultimate, allows him to launch up to three massive explosions at a long range, both doing area denial and good team damage. To protect himself, Mage Chains is a reliable single-target spell that will allow Xerath to stun an enemy if he hits him with a subsequent spell.
Xerath is something we liken to a Howitzer or artillery piece. He should really appeal to people who enjoy very long ranges and like aiming skillshots and leading targets. We're excited to offer a new mage paradigm to League of Legends, and will be continuing to add new ways to play existing roles into the game.
Scorched Earth Xerath
Announcement made by NeeksNaman:
If you've been waiting for that new Xerath skin that really gets you all hot and bothered, your long wait is over. Scorched Earth Xerath is exploding onto the Fields of Justice for all you budding pyrotechnicians, fireworks enthusiasts and anybody else who thinks the process of combustion is really, really cool. Featuring an appropriately incendiary complement of new spell effects befitting his fiery new look, this is one take on the Magus Ascendant you won't want to miss.