- Zed /zɛd/ comes from the early English name of
(still so in UK, Canada, etc.), as well as in several other languages which adopted Latin script (e.g. French zède, German Zett, Japanese zetto, zeddo, & zii);
- Earlier, from Latin Zeta, from Ancient Greek Ζ ζήτα, with Phoenician . 's shape & 's name & pronunciation, from Semitic root ṣ-y-d "hunt"
- Thus the name Zed originates from various Semitic words for hunter, like Arabic صياد ṣayyād & Hebrew צַיָּד ṣayád (cf. Old English
- Tsade was likely pronounced [tsˤ] originally, yet sound changes & manifold borrowings sometimes resulted in /z/, ironically making Zed's name sound identical to Hebrew זֵד zed "upstart, villain, scoundrel", from another root z-y-d "to boil, seethe".
- Zed's dance was inspired by various martial arts (the animator is a )
- Zed is the first champion to not actually 'die' (he drops into a shadow portal while Shockblade disappears by being struck by a lightning bolt) the second being (he rewinds time)
- It is unknown if either actually manages to cheat death.
- Zed is four years younger than and appears to be ambidextrous.
- Zed, , , and were targeted by .
- Zed is the fifth champion to use energy as a resource for abilities (the others being , , , and )
- Zed is one of thirteen champions to not have a single Ability Power ratio on any ability (the others being , , , , , , , , , , and )
- is the third dark-themed Ionian champion (the others being and )
- Zed and 'airplane arms' run when having very high movement speed. perform the
, , and respectively mirroring , , and , as well as , , and marking their targets reference Zed having been a Kinkou Order member.
- conceived with spawning two and was animated accordingly on release. was
- Clicking a PBE used to display portrait. while spectating in slow motion (otherwise it was not possible) while the HUD update was on the
- Zed and his enemy counterpart can theoretically increase their AD infinitely with by alternating killing each other.
- Zed used to gain the 'Law of Inverse Ninja Strength' hidden passive ("This unit is a flippin' ninja!", "Ninjas are more effective when they work alone. For every Ninja on your team beyond yourself, you lose 1 health.") when he, , , and/or found themselves on the same team (was removed during Preseason 4 for unknown reasons)
- It is theorized Zed and are the same individual.
- "Forbidden shadow wins" references .
- "What I have done... cannot be undone" references by .
- Zed and "Without a sound". share the quote
- [ |
- He resembles and might be referencing from , from , and/or from .
- [ |
- He used to be called 'Bladestorm Zed'.
- He received a Chroma pack in V6.17 (more than a year after it was first revealed)
- He resembles from .
- [ |
- He celebrates SK Telecom T1 winning the Season 3 World Championship.
- He represents Faker and is the first World Championship victory skin for Faker. The second being [ |
- He shares this theme with [ | , [ | , [ | , [ | , [ | , [ | , [ | , [ | , [ | , and [ | .
- [ |
- He is from an alternate future in which he was cibernetically augmented as part of the PROJECT Initiative, being the only known 'hostile' Initiate (going rogue and fighting the others)
- [ | describes him as:
- If one tells 'power' she'll say the following:
[ | they fight for
- "A shadow of a man."
- His gear includes:
- He shares this theme with [ | , [ | , [ | , [ | , [ | , [ | (his bullets can be seen hitting a in the background) [ | , and [ | .
- [ |
- He celebrates the Season 6 World Championship.
- He shares this theme with [ | , [ | , [ | , and [ | .
- Zed and Kinkou Order, lead by the latter's father Kusho. Both students saw each other as rivals, but respected Zed, seeing him as a brother and even being a bit jealous of him (Kusho was less strict towards Zed)
trained together in the
- Zed, , and Kusho worked to discover and capture for his brutal murders. All three of them were severely traumatized during the investigation and, when they finally caught the 'Golden Demon', Kusho spared his life. Zed couldn't believe such a monster was offered mercy, finding himself question his master's teachings to the point of heavily resenting him and ultimately murdering him.
- Zed's resentment towards Kusho led him to delve into the shadow arts, founding the Order of Shadow and slaughtering the Kinkou while taking up residence in their old monastery. He seeks to abolish the old ways of balance while spreading his 'no restraint' philosophy, murdering any ninja who refuses to learn.
- Zed and agents of chaos that must be stopped before they upset Ionia's delicate post-invasion stability. are seen as
- Zed is being hunted by for betraying the Kinkou.
- Zed wants dead after he ransacked the Temple of the Jagged Knife.
- Both and have encountered and his ninja clan in an attempt to save a grove from losing all its natural magic.