Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Playing As Zyra
- Placing a seed in your spell's path after you have cast it gives you the best chance of having a seed in the proper spot.
- Seeds grant vision to your team.
- Zyra is a great ambusher - look for opportunities to set a trap of seeds in brush, then lure enemies in.
- Playing Against Zyra
- Zyra's seeds can be destroyed by stepping on them. If she tries to grow them as you do, dodge back at the last moment.
- Moving closer to Zyra can be a smart move if she places plants too far away from herself.
- Plants take fixed damage from attacks and effects, similar to wards. They also expire quickly on their own.
- Moving the fight to a different area will deprive Zyra of accumulated seeds.
- Seeds placed by Zyra are larger, a different color, and grant a small amount of vision to her team.
- Ability Usage
- Keep in mind that Stranglethorns refreshes the duration of all your Rampant Growth plants within its radius, as well as resetting their current hit points. So for example any plant that is about to die from an auto attack can be saved with Stranglethorns. This can be used as a surprising advantage in a direct trade with Zyra opponent since it allows you to keep plants who were about to get destroyed by your enemy, granting you easy access to 3 plants without much Cooldown Reduction.
- Garden of Thorns allows for easy planting, since it spawns seeds without Zyra needing to do so herself. Also, there is no need to cast her abilities directly on top of her seeds, making harassment for Zyra much easier.
- If you are not using quickcast, pay attention to the area around the cast indicator. Around the area where the ability will appear, there is a dimmer box that shows up. If any seeds are within that small area as the ability is cast, those seeds will turn into plants.
- Zyra's main combo is E > W before E lands > W > Q. The root and slow prevents the enemy champion from escaping the Thorn Spitter and prevents much retaliation.
- Zyra's full combo is E > W > R > Q > W > if available. Once you are certain that Grasping Roots will snare your opponent(s), quickly use Rampant Growth to turn it into a Vine Lasher, then follow with Stranglethorns, and throw in your Deadly Spines followed by another Rampant Growth. If done correctly, both plants will be buffed by Stranglethorns since there is a small delay before the thorns expand.
- Placing and activating seeds behind a wall is not only a good surprise tactic, but adds a layer of protection to the plants, especially from melee enemies. Plants will be able to fire at enemies close to the wall without fear of retribution.
- Seeds enter a brief grace period after being planted in which they cannot be stomped out. Aggressive players may take advantage of this by placing seeds directly under enemies and then activating them with Grasping Roots, ensuring the targets will be slowed by the ensuing Vine Lasher.
- Plants make great tanks. When in pursuit of jungle buffs, activate seeds between Zyra and the targets, allowing Zyra's plants to become the focus target of creeps when they begin attacking. They can also tank hits from Dragon, but not from Baron Nashor, since he ignores all pets and only attacks champions. While in lane, quick reflexes will even allow you to get a plant down to block a slow skillshot before it hits you or an ally.
- Zyra can prepare to defend turrets from pushes by planting extra seeds before the minions arrive at the tower, to allow for up to 8 plants to clear the minion wave quickly.
- Rampant Growth can be used to ward, set up a , set up targeted dashes, zone with the possibility of a plant, or set up perimeters.
- Rampant Growth has a longer range than wards do, so use them to gain sight in bushes it would be unsafe to ward.
- Enemies will want to stomp on seeds, so use this to bait them in. Conversely, seeds threaten to turn into plants, and can zone or push others into unfavorable positions. Use Rampant Growth creatively.
- Rampant Growth grants vision of enemies that step on the seeds. Use this to track opponents.
- Zyra is a great initiator like Morgana - landing a long range Grasping Roots or placing a good Stranglethorns to knock up multiple enemies can lead to a game winning teamfight.
- It is a good habit to drop a seed or two whenever you . If you without incident, the seeds will recharge while you run back to lane. However, if an enemy finds you or interrupts your , the extra seeds will give you a better chance to either escape or win an ensuing fight.
- Stranglethorns will cause all plants to unleash double attacks, which is very helpful in teamfights.
- Mastery Usage
- works well on Zyra, because individual attacks from her plants can proc the damage.
- is more poke-based, since plant attacks will trigger the DoT.
- Item Usage
- Zyra is usually played either as a solo mid laner, or more commonly as a support in the bottom lane. As a damage source for her team, Zyra can get really scary by getting ability power, magic penetration and cooldown reduction. As a support, cooldown reduction and team auras allow her to make an impact during fights by controlling her enemies and helping her allies.
- Zyra as all of her spells and plants benefit from the slow. is a great item on
- Zyra as it provides her with more burst, poke damage and a little extra tankiness. Her plants also proc the burn passive as well.
is an excellent item to get early for
- Combining Zyra's effectiveness in extended teamfights. and can be a valid choice. The mix of health, crowd control and damage over time increases
- A couple of items that can be used to round up Zyra's damage are and while a more defensive option can be .
- Zyra as her plants proc the tribute passive when they hit enemy champions. If you're worried about sustain, consider getting instead. and its build path are a strong choice for
- Zyra's abilities within the slightly more limited budget of a support. and are good options with easy buildpaths. The cooldown reduction on all of those items is useful to get the most out of
- Buying magic penetration is also an easy way of increasing Zyra's damage, magic penetration from items such as or provides damage in every stage of the game for support Zyra because her plants have a low AP ratio but still scale with Zyra's champion level.
- An item that increases both Zyra's and her allies' damage is . Even though it is not as cost efficient, if your team is ahead and deals a fine amount of magical damage, you can consider getting it.
- Zyra's seeds can be destroyed by stepping on them. Crush them underfoot if she is using them to give her team vision of an area. Remember that they cannot be crushed right after being planted. Be careful if Zyra is hanging around near the seeds as she may be trying to lure you into a trap by setting off the seeds with her other spells.
- Zyra's seeds have a short invulnerability timer, which lasts for 1.5 seconds. Be very careful and move away immediately from seeds if she places near or behind you. If she places them behind you, she will likely attempt land her Grasping Roots, rooting you and leaving the plants for massive damage, followed by a Deadly Spines and a finishing Stranglethorns if you are not quick.
- Garden of Thorns makes it easy for Zyra to spawn plants. Be cautious of the area.
- Moving closer to Zyra can be a smart move if she places plants too far away from herself.
- Plants can be killed by three basic attacks or a single target spell and one basic attack. They also grant a little extra 5 gold if you land the finishing attack.
- Early game Zyra will attempt to combo you with seeds behind or under you, followed by Grasping Roots and Deadly Spines. The damage from the plants is insane and can leave you in a terrible position or force you to go back to the base.
- Be wary of chasing Zyra as she can easily place seeds in her wake, creating a pseudo obstacle course of plants which may cause your pursuit to result in death.
- Attempting to connect skill shots with Zyra over her seeds can be problematic. Zyra may use her seeds as shields, activating her plants in front of your shots. It is important to note that, although plants will block skill shots, seeds in and of themselves will not hinder shots of any kind.
- During early game, try to determine which skills Zyra is leveling first. A Zyra that levels Deadly Spines first will rely more on direct damage and less on CC, so she should be harassed more aggressively. When she levels Rampant Growth first, she will try to harass more often than usual but rely on seeds more for damage, so staying away from the seeds or forcing her away from them will hurt Zyra's game. A Zyra that levels Grasping Roots first will have powerful CC, but since the plants and Grasping Roots have short range (narrow hitbox), moving around a lot will leave her struggling to deal damage.
- Stranglethorns has a large AoE, but it can be evaded at the edges, since it takes a while before the vines damage the edges, so a quick or simply moving away will leave her ultimate wasted. So Zyra, when trying to setup for a good ultimate, will usually plant 1 or more seeds and activate them with Grasping Roots to keep her target in place.
- Since Zyra has no targeting abilities, a teleporting champion such as Ezreal, Kassadin or Katarina can prove to be very problematic for her.
- As a jungler, wait for Zyra to use Grasping Roots, as it is her only escape mechanism, and then strike. Just remember that her plants can continue to attack no matter what happens to Zyra.
- Zyra is quite squishy if she plays support. Try to play aggressively when her
spells are on cooldown to effectively zone her and her Marksman.